Dog ate my hearing aid

Ambrosia

Reaction score
Has anyone had a pet get a hold of your hearing aid? About a week after I got my first digital aid I went to take a bath. Took my aid out and put it on a shelf in the bathroom, well it fell, probably immediately, but since I'd taken my aid out i was deaf and didn't hear it hit the floor. Got in the tub with my book, at some point my husband came in for something and left the door open, dog came in and I had no idea. After I got out I wen to put my aid back in and I couldn't find it. After looking around for a bit I found it on the bath mat....all chewed up. A week, I'd had t a week, omg I was upset and freaking out. They ended up replacing it for free!!! But told me not to make a habit of it because they won't keep replacing it.

Keep your hearing aids put in a sealed dry store jar or in a closed dresser. Dogs love the smell and taste of earwax. It is like a piece of steak for them. Glad you got it replaced for free.

Keep your hearing aids put in a sealed dry store jar or in a closed dresser. Dogs love the smell and taste of earwax. It is like a piece of steak for them. Glad you got it replaced for free.

Dogs like earmolds as the material tastes sweet to them.

My Malti-Poo likes to pick up anything that belongs to us, so I am really careful and so far she hasn't gotten a hearing aid.

Of course our shoe collection is somewhat reduced now.

My sister's dog actually chewed on my hearing aid. It was the analog hearing aid that I had for 15 years.

It fell out of my ear while I was sleeping and she woke me up apologizing cuz she found it in her dog's mouth. I just wiped it off and put it under a blow dryer. Worked fine. That was in 1997 or 1998. :)

Interesting, I would think you would have to use something to soak up the moisture.

my first dog got a hold of my hearing aid once.... but she destroyed the earmold, not the hearing aid. And I've had a cat or 2 that would play with my hearing aids when I was a kid too.

Best practice is to keep hearing aids out of the bathroom when not in your ears, they don't do well in the moisture found in a steamy bathroom. Also when not in your ears they should be in a drying container or a Dry N Store with a snap lid. If kept in either of the two this will keep the family pet from having a "tasty" snack!

A good friend of mine has lost so many HA's over the years I have lost track. Some have been left in hotel rooms and "lost," and 3 or 4 pairs have been eaten by his various dogs. The last pair to go this way was his Phonak BiCros HA that he left on his bed and his dog found them and chewed them up. Luckily they were replaced for free, but after his audi at the VA said if it happened again he was on his own he finally broke down and bought a Dry N Store and changed his habit about leaving his HA's just lying around, it's been almost a year and so far so good.

my first dog got a hold of my hearing aid once.... but she destroyed the earmold, not the hearing aid. And I've had a cat or 2 that would play with my hearing aids when I was a kid too.
This happened to me once, too. Nearly new, but the inside was not damaged, so they just recased it.

I slept over my aunt’s house and her dog chewed both my hearing aids! Good thing her home owner insurance covered it! I have always kept in safe container from that day on!

Back