First aids?

Deanne

Reaction score
How old were you when you got your first aid/aids? Did you have hearing problems before that or was it fairly sudden? Just wondering......

I am late-deafened and it was detected during a routine physical about 7 months after my first child was born (someone has said the pregnancy or delivery may have triggered a domant hearing loss gene that I inherited from my mom).

I was not advised to get a hearing aid at that time, but about 7 years later when I went back for a hearing test because now I was starting to notice the loss (just one ear at this point) I got an ITE. 5 years later when I went back to see if it needed adjusting or to be replaced, I was told my other ear now had loss and to get an HA for that ear. I now wear BTEs due to having lost more hearing in both ears.

I think it was when I became deaf at the age of one. I had hearing aids for both ears until I was in elementary school before I switched to one hearing aid.

I was 27. My hearing in my left ear started going when I was 20 though. But I actually managed fine just being able to hear out of my right, as long as someone wasn't sitting on my left trying to talk to me anyway :p I had my son at 23, my daughter at 25, it was right after I had her that my hearing my right ear started to go. And it progressed pretty quickly. I had gone to the VR to get aids to keep my job, I was cashier!! yeah that was fun. But I was losing so much hearing so fast they wanted me to get an MRI (wait for that appt), make sure I didn't have a tumor. Nope, so then they wanted me to see an expert in Boston (wait for that appt) he wanted me to get a CTscan (wait for that appt) finally get the okay. By the time I got my aids nearly a year had passed and I was at the point where people were having to talk directly into my right ear for me to hear them. It was pretty aggressive progressive loss.

I was 27. My hearing in my left ear started going when I was 20 though. But I actually managed fine just being able to hear out of my right, as long as someone wasn't sitting on my left trying to talk to me anyway :p I had my son at 23, my daughter at 25, it was right after I had her that my hearing my right ear started to go. And it progressed pretty quickly. I had gone to the VR to get aids to keep my job, I was cashier!! yeah that was fun. But I was losing so much hearing so fast they wanted me to get an MRI (wait for that appt), make sure I didn't have a tumor. Nope, so then they wanted me to see an expert in Boston (wait for that appt) he wanted me to get a CTscan (wait for that appt) finally get the okay. By the time I got my aids nearly a year had passed and I was at the point where people were having to talk directly into my right ear for me to hear them. It was pretty aggressive progressive loss.
Was there a reason why your hearing loss happened?

Was there a reason why your hearing loss happened?

yep otosclerosis, and cochlear otosclerosis (that's a bit more rare). For most people that get it it stays out of their cochlea and just causes bone conduction, I have a mixed bag bone conduction and sensorineural. I think most of my loss is sensorineural.

yep otosclerosis, and cochlear otosclerosis (that's a bit more rare). For most people that get it it stays out of their cochlea and just causes bone conduction, I have a mixed bag bone conduction and sensorineural. I think most of my loss is sensorineural.
Isn't that what Grissom (from C.S.I.) had?

I haven no idea I have never watched that. I'm not real big on watching TV.
Sorry.

I just looked it up. The character's mother had this and it made her deaf. This encouraged Grissom to learn ASL in order to communicate with her. Then it started affecting him, but he had surgery before it developed completely.

Although you're not big on watching television, you should watch one episode in particular... C.S.I. (Season 1 - Episode 20) "Sounds of Silence". It involves C.S.I. investigating the death of a deaf man being run over by a car. :)

Anyways, do you use sign language to communicate with your family?

Sorry.

I just looked it up. The character's mother had this and it made her deaf. This encouraged Grissom to learn ASL in order to communicate with her. Then it started affecting him, but he had surgery before it developed completely.

Although you're not big on watching television, you should watch one episode in particular... C.S.I. (Season 1 - Episode 20) "Sounds of Silence". It involves C.S.I. investigating the death of a deaf man being run over by a car. :)

Phyliss Frelich was Grissom's mother!

Sorry.

Nope. None of us know it. Years ago I talked to my soon to be ex husband about learning ASL with me, he flat out refused. Then when we were talking about divorce, well fighting about it, some how that got brought up, and he's all "If you want me to I'll learn it for you", no too late now, stfu. I do want to learn it with my kids though, I've thought about taking a course, but then I'd have to teach the lessons to them. ugh. I've been wondering if the VR would hook us up with someone but my case is "closed" with them, so I don't know. I was using lifeprint, but I started slacking on it. My daughter has an ASL app on her ipod, I think she knows more than I do. And no, no one else in my family parents siblings, know it I didn't start losing it until I'd move out of the house, and now live a thousand miles away from anyone. And no one can call me, it sucks.

Nope. None of us know it. Years ago I talked to my soon to be ex husband about learning ASL with me, he flat out refused. Then when we were talking about divorce, well fighting about it, some how that got brought up, and he's all "If you want me to I'll learn it for you", no too late now, stfu. I do want to learn it with my kids though, I've thought about taking a course, but then I'd have to teach the lessons to them. ugh. I've been wondering if the VR would hook us up with someone but my case is "closed" with them, so I don't know. I was using lifeprint, but I started slacking on it. My daughter has an ASL app on her ipod, I think she knows more than I do. And no, no one else in my family parents siblings, know it I didn't start losing it until I'd move out of the house, and now live a thousand miles away from anyone. And no one can call me, it sucks.
Sorry to hear about that.

It's never too late to learn ASL.

I was 17 and my very first set of hearing aids were Seimens. Aids were fine but I did not want to wear any hearing aids at all. I flunked the hearing test trying to get in the army. I guess I had always had a hearing loss, but when you don't know anything different, it is hard to judge.

I was almost 3 when I got my first hearing aids. Had meningitis when I was 2 which caused my deafness. Took a while to get me properly tested as it was in then 80's and yeah.

I was very young when I got my hearing aids. I don't remember exactly how old I was, but I had them before second grade in elementary school in the USA.

Noise Related

I am lucky. My dad has a severe hearing loss that has progressively worsened over the last 10 years. His hearing loss is from a lifetime of working in noise without using appropriate hearing protection. Unfortunately when he was in the construction field it wasn't required by law that workers use appropriate hearing protection and workers understanding and education about the certainty of hearing loss without hearing protection simply wasn't common knowledge as it is today. This unfortunately has left my father with a high-frequency hearing loss. He unfortunately waited many many years before wearing hearing aids which caused a permanent impairment in his ability to discern subtle differences in pitch. Basically, he can't hear the difference between similar words like, 'time', 'dime', and 'mine'.

My Dad's hearing loss I'm sure is what lead me down the path of pursuing a career in audiology. If my dad would have started wearing hearing aids years earlier he would be hearing much clearer today. When I read through this 'bleed' I read how a lot of people choose to use one hearing aid instead of two. Sometimes a damaged ear can not benefit from amplification, but whenever a damaged ear can be benefited from amplification I strongly urge you to start using a hearing aid sooner than later.

It is well proven, that auditory deprivation can permanently effect the brains ability to discern similar words in speech.

Jeffrey David
Buy Hearing Aids & Accessories Online | Clearly Hearing

I didn't get HA's until I was 52 and that was after failing first hearing test in the second grade and being diagnosed with HF hearing loss in the forth grade. I'm sure I probably would have benefitted from them 10-15 years earlier.

First hearing aid/aids

i got my first aid at age 55, but I'd been losing my hearing for some time before that. I got a second aid earleir this year just before my 57th birthday.

Back