Hearing Aids in Movies?

VamPyroX

Reaction score
Any of you know any movies where someone wore hearing aid(s) in it?

I can think of a few...

- She's All That
- Spy Kids: All the Time in the World
- Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare

Have seen a few actors / characters wearing them, but I thought you were going to ask about if we wore our hearing aid in the movie. NO, the deaf could hear in there.

I was watching Son's of Anarchy last night, and Lumpy the old guy that owns the boxing gym was wearing a hearing aid. But he's an old guy, guess it's kind of expected ;) I do wonder if most people would even notice or think about it. I don't think people do.

I was watching Son's of Anarchy last night, and Lumpy the old guy that owns the boxing gym was wearing a hearing aid. But he's an old guy, guess it's kind of expected ;) I do wonder if most people would even notice or think about it. I don't think people do.
Even though I'm deaf and wear a hearing aid, I don't always think about hearing aids on old people. I guess you're right about it being considered "normal" to see an old person wearing hearing aids and ignoring it. :)

Even though I'm deaf and wear a hearing aid, I don't always think about hearing aids on old people. I guess you're right about it being considered "normal" to see an old person wearing hearing aids and ignoring it. :)

oh I meant just anybody. I don't think people notice mine unless I point them out. Other people that wear them though? We can spot them from a mile away ;)

Angel Eyes (2001), the main character's (Sharon) father wore a hearing aid. I don't know if he is deafened in real life though. I thought his mold looked a little weird.

On TV, I am guessing the most 'famous' person wearing a hearing aid may be Adam Savage?

oh I meant just anybody. I don't think people notice mine unless I point them out. Other people that wear them though? We can spot them from a mile away ;)
Well, if I'm walking along at a store or at the mall... and see an old person wearing hearing aids, I usually shrug it off with the assumption that they're deaf because of old age.

But if it's a young person wearing hearing aids, then I usually have a quick thought of two things... "Is that person really deaf and knows sign language or is it just a hard-of-hearing oral person who doesn't sign?"

Well, if I'm walking along at a store or at the mall... and see an old person wearing hearing aids, I usually shrug it off with the assumption that they're deaf because of old age.

But if it's a young person wearing hearing aids, then I usually have a quick thought of two things... "Is that person really deaf and knows sign language or is it just a hard-of-hearing oral person who doesn't sign?"

Agreed, I just think about different things :) I don't know sign so that doesn't usually cross my mind, but I do get a moment of "hey!! they have HAs too" I've never asked someone about theirs though. I want to ask to this girl that works at the pizza place in the same plaza as my plaza. She's a waitress!! She has BTEs, so she has some significant loss. Granted they are kind of small BTEs, even still I wonder how she can waitress. I could never.

Agreed, I just think about different things :) I don't know sign so that doesn't usually cross my mind, but I do get a moment of "hey!! they have HAs too" I've never asked someone about theirs though. I want to ask to this girl that works at the pizza place in the same plaza as my plaza. She's a waitress!! She has BTEs, so she has some significant loss. Granted they are kind of small BTEs, even still I wonder how she can waitress. I could never.
Sometimes, I wonder why they don't implement sign language in some movies (as often as they should) where the character wears hearing aids. Kinda defeats the purpose of putting the hearing aids there in the first place.

Sometimes, I wonder why they don't implement sign language in some movies (as often as they should) where the character wears hearing aids. Kinda defeats the purpose of putting the hearing aids there in the first place.
Why do you think that? I would guess the majority of people wearing HAs do not know sign language, so most people would not associate wearing HAs with using sign language.

Why do you think that? I would guess the majority of people wearing HAs do not know sign language, so most people would not associate wearing HAs with using sign language.
When they put in a blind character in a story, they usually involve something about that blind person's past or do something related to that blindness.

Why not do the same with hearing aids? It could be sign language, or it could be a deaf related incident, etc.

For instance, Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare. I don't remember if the deaf kid in the movie signed, but I do remember that Freddy messed with his deafness by modifying his hearing aid and giving him super hearing... to a point where his brain couldn't handle the super hearing.

When they put in a blind character in a story, they usually involve something about that blind person's past or do something related to that blindness.

Why not do the same with hearing aids? It could be sign language, or it could be a deaf related incident, etc.

For instance, Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare. I don't remember if the deaf kid in the movie signed, but I do remember that Freddy messed with his deafness by modifying his hearing aid and giving him super hearing... to a point where his brain couldn't handle the super hearing.

Oh, yeah. I remember that one. That was absurd in a humorous way.

Oh, yeah. I remember that one. That was absurd in a humorous way.
In She's All That and Spy Kids: All the Time in the World, did the kids with hearing aids sign? I've seen She's All That, but that was years ago and I can't remember if there was any signing in that movie.

I saw a guy use a pocket hearing aid in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992), he made his deafness look terrible. Rambled loudly and misheard many words.

Not good to make such assumptions-- something I learned :eek: recently.

I saw a guy use a pocket hearing aid in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992), he made his deafness look terrible. Rambled loudly and misheard many words.
I wonder if it was actually intended to be seen differently?

Most people don't notice hearing aids when they are talking to you or even see you in public. The only people that will notice hearing aids on you are: children( they don't miss much), other HA wearers and those that are thinking of getting HA's, other than that everyone else is too busy to notice hearing aids or even care that you wear HA's.

Back