Trouble getting new hearing aids.

U

ultrared

I started with Costco KS6 some years ago & they worked well enough although they never turned up the volume from the beginning 80% to 100% for many months - they forgot.

Last year I tried the Rexton at Costco and was very frustrated. The audi kept saying they don’t have programs any more, one setting does it all. She is the manager. I returned them last fall as I was entering cancer treatment which is known to impact one’s hearing. This past spring I was retested some months after the treatments ended and my hearing had worsened about 5-10%. I was given the Phillips. Again she said they don’t have programs anymore. I said yes they do and after calling the manufacture she admitted they did have programs and put some in for me. In particular I wanted something for wind, music & T-Coil. The “noise” program worked for wind fairly well (although she didn’t think to try it for that - it was my idea). T-Coil for phone was a bust and music was ok.

However I continued to have issues with hearing my wife well. She noticed it as well. I had them move the volume from 80% to 100% - again they forgot to mention this detail. My 6 mths were running out and I got them to give me an extension to Nov 4. I plan to return them.

I went to an audiology store that came highly recommended by neighbors. Hearing test was pretty close to the last one done by Costco in the spring. They gave me a demo of Oticon (More 1 miniRITE-312) and they are amazing, both my wife and I can see / hear the difference.

Now the problems, it appears there are 3 levels of quality (actually 4 - the 4th is for people in nursing homes which they don’t even sell). The price differences are $6400, $5400 and $4400. The sales card shows Level 1: AGX9 - premium tech, Active lifestyle; Level 2: AGX7 - Advanced Tech, Casual Lifestyle & Level 3: AGX5 - mid-level tech, Quiet Lifestyle; Level 4: AGX3 - Entry Level Tech, Rare Background Noise. Audi said all companies have the same levels as noted above.

As I said the Oticon - level 1 is amazing. When I asked about trying Level 2 or 3 he said sure, I could buy those and return them - with a restocking fee of $300 which they may or not waive. WTF? I said well that’s a sales gimmick, how are you going to expect me to know which is best if I can’t try them without a financial penalty? I plan to ask for specific tech details of the 3 levels. Like a car, MPG, how many cylinders, that sort of thing.

As a side note they are partial to the Oticon and when asked have given the brands the following ratings: 1. Oticon; 2. Phonak; 3. Widex; 4. Starkey; (no ratings given for Resound or Unitron.

It turns out my insurance will pay $3K after January 1st but I have to go another Center, preferred provider and all that. They favor the Phonak but do sell the Oticon. I have sent them my hearing test and asked for their pricing.

Questions:

1. What are the real life differences between the 3 levels?
  2. Do all the brands really have identical tech (AGX#) for each level? (Yet he really pressed on how much better the Oticon is than the others…)
  3. Any suggestions on brands? I know there are very personal experiences and I do really like the demo Oticon - but maybe I’d like the Phonak better? or the Widex? (Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc). It seems each store or audi has their own favorite.
  4. Any suggestions on dealing with the new place I’m going to? I made it pretty clear how unhappy I was with the sales aspect to the current store - and didn’t make any friends. I’ll tone it down (pun intended) when I go to the new place - but knowing in advance what I can expect and what I can press for will be helpful.
  5. Anything else? Thoughts, suggestions, etc.
Thanks in advance,

Jim

Back