Asl?

What are your ASL goals?

• I don't know any and don't plan on learning.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know any but would like to learn.

• I know some, and that's enough for me.

• I know some but would like to continue learning.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • I can converse but I'm not fluent.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • I'm an ASL master :)

• Total voters

Deanne

Reaction score
Just wondering how many sign or want to learn? If ASL isn't your native sign language, please just answer using yours.

I'm in Step 6, but was supposed to be in Step 5. Because the classes were small they combined them. I'm probably over my head at this point but that's my own fault because I haven't putting the effort into it that I should.
It's still nice to know what I do know so my daughter & I can somewhat converse when I'm not wearing my hearing aids.

I've learned ASL for 4 years or so. I took ASL1 that was taught by a hearing parent of a deaf child who was raised by ASL. The rest of the years are from meeting people and interpreters.

If you really wanted to, you could learn ASL from just meeting deaf people often without having to pay a cent for classes. That's how easy it is. The problem is though, finding them can be pretty tough if it's not a big community.

I knew a little when I was younger due to being in a mixed classroom. I took one community class, have been learning online and am lucky enough to have some Deaf friends to practice/sign with :)

I've been taking lessons from an interpreter for Sorenson. That's been good I think. Its hard to find a class here. There's a community college that offers classes, but you have to do the full enrollment. It's a real pain because that's more expensive, plus I already have a degree, so it's not like I'm looking for it to be graded.

My sister knows ASL, since she has a couple of deaf friends and has used it at times at different places she has worked, so it has come in handy. I on the other hand haven't learned it, but someday maybe.

Back