Cochlear Implant: Is it true that you can't swim or play football?

Alex

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a CI user, but to those that do, what do you think? Fact or myth? :confused:

I think it's a myth.

From what I've heard, you can't go too deep due to water pressure. Diving into the water head first or hitting your head in the water could cause problems.

As for football, I think the issue is roughness with head impact causing damage to the implant. I guess it's just playing football with a good helmet and not wearing implants.

I have friends who have CIs and they swim. A couple are water polo players. Heard no complaints from them.

I also have friends who play football, but this was flag football. I don't know about tackle football. Never knew anyone who had CI and played tackle football.

I am not sure that I would take the chance swimming or rough sports wit a CI. A lot of technology and expense to take a chance. IMHO.

I am not sure that I would take the chance swimming or rough sports wit a CI. A lot of technology and expense to take a chance. IMHO.
Yeah, I feel the same way. The more advanced and fragile the technology, the higher risks there are. :(

I've heard someone who had CI surgery said that you can go scuba diving only for a certain depth. Something about how the surgery removes part of the skull, so it leaves it vulnerable and you want to be safe about it.

yea I was told this too, I can still go scuba diving but have to watch my depth. And if you have the AB neptune processor you can wear your CI while swimming and can hear quite well even underwater.

I've heard someone who had CI surgery said that you can go scuba diving only for a certain depth. Something about how the surgery removes part of the skull, so it leaves it vulnerable and you want to be safe about it.

yea I was told this too, I can still go scuba diving but have to watch my depth. And if you have the AB neptune processor you can wear your CI while swimming and can hear quite well even underwater.
What's your depth limit?

Back