Costco Carrying Philips

whiskeyed

Reaction score
After trying the Kirkland 8.0 hearing aids (and inadvertently trying the Signia Pure 312s from an audiologist, which are very similar - if not the same). I decided to go back to Costco hoping to try the Phonak Brio 3s hoping it might be better suited and may have some connectivity (which it did not!). I made an appointment with the audiologist (as I have a unilateral loss) in the hope that I might get a better fit than I would with a tech. I was very impressed with her approach -- she recommended the Bernafon -- as the issues I had with the Signia's were a step-like function to the sounds cutting in - rather than smooth transitions. Basically, she said the Bernafon was at the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of how it handles sound compared to the Signia.

Well...today I get a call from her telling me there is a brand new Philips model released that she feels is better in everyway than the Bernafon -- though she claims it has the same tech -- but better processor. I am going to get the Bernafon refunded with the hopes the Philips will be an updated version of the Bernafon. The online info from Philips is a little disappointing, though -- as still no Android streaming options.

Any other information or experience with the new Philips?

I picked up a "Philips Hearlink" brochure from Costco today and spoke with the tech about it. She said they just got the brochures on Monday. It looks like a rebranded Oticon Opn of some sort. The "HearLink MiniRITE T R" version's charger looks identical to the Oticon S charger, it advertises "360-degree sound" and accessories include a "Philips AudioClip" (instead of a "ConnectClip") and "Philips TV Adapter" instead of the "Oticon TV Adapter." The tech said the manufacturer rep would be conducting a training session in early June, so I scheduled an appointment shortly afterward to potentially purchase. I'm not completely satisfied with my Kirkland 8s.

I was fitted with the Philips today. I feel its a vast improvement over the Kirkland 8 (and the Signia I tried). Sounds are more natural, I'm not getting outrageously painful sounds when water is running/paper crumpled. I wore it most of the day and already forgot it was in. I expect she didn't fully correct to my prescription as I have a unilateral loss and can hear well in my other ear. I am disappointed that any connectivity is primarily through Apple -- I have Android and my phone is basically a remote control.

A couple small things I don't like. The controller on the aid was more straightforward on the Signia/Kirkland. The button is both the program and volume (as are many out there)-- most of the time I want to adjust volume, but I end up switching programs -- the difference in the press is very subtle. I guess I will get used to that. Lastly, the color options are very limited. There is no dark brown -- either medium brown or black. I am in my early 40s and while I am not ashamed about my hearing loss, I don't wish to advertise it either. I could hardly tell I had the Kirkland on -- this aid is a little more obvious in its styling.

As far as how it compares to other Bernafon products, I can't say. Overall, it's a more natural sound and if I can get better speech understanding, I will be happy with this aid.

Back