How did you lose your hearing?

When I understand that I have hearing problem then it was a very painful feeling for me but after getting a hearing aid I fell better and now I am enjoying my life as much as possible so I suggest to everyone that if you have this problem please get speech therapy and get a hearing aid.

Lost my high frequency hearing due to measles and mumps in a months time when I was 4 years old. It was only in the 4-6,000Hz range at first and has progressed over the years and now is mild/moderate in the mid frequencies and severe/profound in the HF.

I attribute my hearing loss to three things:

Living a long life time.

Spending five years flying as a crew man in Navy multi-engine piston aircraft.

Having a 40 year business career that often placed me in sound studios filled with loud music.

I attribute my hearing loss to three things:

Living a long life time.

Spending five years flying as a crew man in Navy multi-engine piston aircraft.

Having a 40 year business career that often placed me in sound studios filled with loud music.

Carbuff,

That would do it. I have a friend who flew as a crewman in P-3 Orion's for I believe over 30 years and today he has a pretty severe hearing loss and has hearing aids provided by the VA.

Agreed, long hours flying a P3 with its big piston engines would severely impact one's hearing.

The P3 was the aircraft that replaced our P2V's after the Korean war.

I lost my hearing due to my years in the Navy and working around, and flying in military jets. Back then they never told us about protecting our hearing or anything else. Then I am sure that shooting weapons without any protection also added to that. Still no one explained the need to protect my hearing.

I lost my hearing after I born because after my birth I hear little till 2 to 3 years. After that I loss hearing totally, may be I was having some problem at that time which is not caught by parents. From that time to now I was fighting from my hear loss problem.

How I went deaf

My ENT/audiologist says that my hearing loss is due to there being hereditary hearing loss in my paternal family, male members on my late father's side tend to start to lose their hearing in their 50s. This was the case for my late father and grandfather and I have a paternal uncle in his 70s who is also deaf.

There's also some damage fro my listening to loud music over many years.

Hearing Loss

You can loose your hearing just by living, if you ride a boat, play music, shoot guns for hobby, anything!

You can get hearing loss also by trauma or it being hereditary. Either way the statistic is though people who feel they have hearing loss do not get help until approx fifteen years later. In reality you hear with your ran as well you should get help right away because the longer you wait the longer id it to re train your brain how to hear and believe it or not there is a moment where it is to late to get help and your brain can no longer rehabilitate it self

My mother was pregnant with me and caught the german measles at the age of 16. Her family was to poor to get the shots.

I have something to share...

Hi, I am new here. I am here to share my dad's experience. He was working and it was two years before that he had to leave his job and take a complete rest as per the instructions of his Doc. He was having severe joint pains and he was under medicines for the same. Doc said arthritis as a reason for that. But due to heavy dose medicines, his diabetic level increased more than the expected level and body began to show its symptoms too. We ignored all that in the initial stage but late my dad lost his hearing ability and now he is under treatment for the same at Westside Audiology and he is taking help of a hearing aid for this. Later, It was his Doctor that said about diabetics being a reason of this. And we were surprised to know the link between diabetics and hearing loss. And this is what happened to my dad. :(:(:(

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost my hearing due to a high fever when I was 5 years old. I currently use a hearing aid on my left ear and not my right, because my audiologist said my hearing in that ear was so bad a hearing aid wouldn't do much. Heh.

So, how did you lose your hearing?
I was born with hearing loss found out at 5 years it’s heridtary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was born with a Birth defect called Golden Har syndrome where I was not to live and left side of my body has defect like no ear can't close left eye that I am now blind in.
Growing up in Pennsylvania I had to get hearing tested by the state every year. They always said my right side was good and that I had some hearing on my left side that I could get a special aid implanted if something happens to my right side. Now 40 years later been having hard time with my hearing got tested last year and was told from my last test 5 years before I had loss 50% of what I had on the right side and almost everything use conductive on the left. I am disabled after being a welder a machinist and a truck driver for years and did not have a way to buy aids. After researching for about 9 months I now found Starkey Hearing Foundation hear now program they provide me with a new test that shows no type of hearing on my left at all now and major loss on the right they are providing me with the Muse i2400 standard RIC with ear mold. So after all of that first Hearing aid at the age of 53. They said they believe due to my past work and being I struggle with by B1 level and having some of the same problems that diabetics have due to having most of my pancreas removed as well as my spleen removed
Now working on learning about my renewal of hearing and how to best take care of it and the best 312 batteries to use and where to get my best deal on all my supplys

Last edited:
My grandpa alsa suffer from that problem so i can buy a BTE Hearing aids and now my granpa can listen easily and they don`t hesitate to use this because it can easily to wear or easily catch in a hand . So I suggest if any one has a problem to listening they buy a BTE Hearing aid.

I had a high fever when I was a baby and since in those days (50’s) doctors didn’t notice that you could get an inner ear infection so they didn’t treat it so the infection damaged my nerve which caused me to be partial deaf in my right ear
Then when I was around 9 or so I had male teachers & female teachers
My grades were different and even trying different things such as having me sit up front in female teachers classes there was still something not right So I had my hearing tested & that was when it was found that I had a hearing problem
So I got my first OTE
Later on I was tested and my left ear was going down and that was due to it had been trying to do a double job which caused it to start failing
So I got 2 aids this time ITE
Wore ITE’s til my 50’s then due to ITE’s not being strong enough for me I had to go back to OTE’s
Which is what I now wear
Even OTE’s are not totally strong enough, but only thing left is the implant which I would need 2
At one time you weren’t allow to get 2 implants, but that has changed
The implants are $$$ my understanding is they are around $60,000 each and there is still the risk that if something goes wrong you will lose total hearing in that ear
I learned to lip read myself no lessons ever
I know how to Read & Write so I really don’t care to learn ASL
I have around 88% lose in both ears, but I can still hear somethings just not on phones
I have a few apps to use for calls (clearcaption / sprint relay)

Back