Tinnitus

have tinnitus in the right ear on a daily basis. Have had it for years and years. The sound changes, sometimes it's a ringing, buzzing, sirens, etc. It's crazy. Sometimes I even feel like I'm in a sound booth during a hearing test because the tinnitus will mimick the tones/beeps from the hearing test.

When I get a hearing test done, sometimes when I hear the beeps I'll think, wait, was that a beep? Or are my ears just ringing again?

When I get a hearing test done, sometimes when I hear the beeps I'll think, wait, was that a beep? Or are my ears just ringing again?
I know the feeling. I'll hear the beeping so many times that I think there's still more beeping.

I'll press the button or raise my hand... and the audiologist will give me that weird look. :dizzy:

Since the audi can see my face, or at least one side of it, she probably can see me give a "is that a tone or tinnitus I hear" look.

Since the audi can see my face, or at least one side of it, she probably can see me give a "is that a tone or tinnitus I hear" look.
This just gave me a whole new perspective on those hearing people who claim they're hearing things. Are they really mentally insane or have they been hearing a lot of repetitive noises that they begin to repeat those thoughts in their minds subconsciously? ;)

There are music relaxation soundtracks that will help lower the ringing. It does for me. I use a mp3 music player and headphones when the ringing is very "loud."

Tinnitus is very mis-understood.

I have worked in the hearing industry for over 20 years. The experts go back and forth between thinking that tinnitus is a problem associated from damage to the cilia cells in our inner nerves, or problems in our auditory cortex where interpretation of the messages sent from our ears is processed.

Temporary Tinnitus is often the result of exposure to loud noise, whether it be a concert, a football game, or mowing the lawn. Other times tinnitus occurs when noise isn't the trigger and we don't really know why. Most of the time it's nothing to worry about. That said, a hearing test is recommended. It may be able to see any underlying causes.

Sometimes Tinnitus is associated with ear disorders and often tinnitus is associated with a high frequency hearing loss. In cases where tinnitus and high frequency hearing loss are present then open-fit hearing aids are recommended. The hearing aids will both mask the sound of the tinnitus while at the same time allow you to hear the high pitches that you are missing.

We have a page that discusses tinnitus on our website, as well as, a link to the American Tinnitus Association. Go to the page and see what famous Star Trek actor lives with Tinnitus.

Tinnitus "Ringing In Your Ears" | Clearly Hearing

I've had tinnitus at least since I was a kid. It is a high pitched constant tone. However, with my HA's in it basically goes away and is greatly reduced when I take them out at the end of the day and through the night it gradually comes back only to disappear or be drastically reduced one I put my HA's back in my ears. I have been told If you have tinnitus and smoke, drink alcohol or caffein it can make matters worse.

I get spontaneous tinnitus, and the high but quiet pitch noise lasts for about 15-20 seconds then it goes away. Does anyone else have this problem?

For those that don't know, noise or ringing in the ears is called "Tinnitus."

I understand one way to prevent tinnitus is reducing the noise you expose your ears to and avoid listening to very loud music. There are 50 million Americans who suffer from tinnitus. Damn. :mad:

Tinnitus can be very draining and there is no cure at the moment. For most wearing a hearing aid takes the tinnitus away. It creates a ambient noise for the brain and distracts it. At Zounds hearing you are able to receive a hearing test and demo all the in same visit. This way you will know right away if your tinnitus is taken away or diminished by hearing a hearing aid

Terry P
Licensed HIS
www.zoundshearing.com

Yes, I do get it at night when it is quiet. My wife has it so bad that she sometimes can not sleep so she got a sound pillow. Which has help a lot.

I have it in my left ear day and night but seems worse at night. It has got louder over the past few years.

I can't really tell what tinnitus sounds like.

I might have it too and not know it.

What exactly do you hear when you have it? Is it the same sound for everyone or does it vary by the individual?
Hi! I've found some interesting information on Tinnitus. I hope it helps you to know more about it.

My father has tinnitus. It is especially worse for him at night. My mom thought he was joking for the longest time when he'd go "do you here that annoying sound?!" but then when things got worse we took him to an audi and sure enough he has tinnitus. It was hard for us to understand at first but then the audi had us come listen to some of the sounds tinnitus can make. Everyone's tinnitus sounds can be different. My dad always said his sounded really high pitched. So we got to listen to it and no wonder it drove him crazy! He struggled with sleeping and focusing at work for a while til he started treatment and therapy. Tinnitus can really have a huge impact on people and their lives. I'm sorry to all of you that have it!!!! Hopefully you have found a treatment method that works for you.

But for those that don't have tinnitus and want to know what it sounds like, or want to hear what other people with tinnitus can hear, check these recordings out! It's crazy that our brains are creating these kinds of sounds...

My dad said his is like the 2nd recording on the list, the one labeled 7500 hz tone. Wild stuff! What do ya'll hear???

Back