2024-Q2 changes to DIY School (01 Introduction to the first fitting process)

pvc

Reaction score
I made changes to DIY School PDF file (01 Introduction to the first fitting process) to emphasize that
  • Specific acoustics (open-venting vs closed-venting) will be part of the prescription for gain settings
  • any changes you make (except for very minor changes) will cause REM adjustments to be lost.
Here's a clip;

Select specific acoustics

Specific acoustics (open-venting vs closed-venting) will be part of the prescription for gain settings in the next step, and must be specified manually, because the fitting software cannot detect what type of acoustics are used. Here’s a video on → matching acoustics/vent-size to your hearing loss.

REM/Real Ear Measurement​

Some professional audiologists also use an additional measuring system to achieve REM/Real Ear Measurement and that may change your gain settings to more closely match the Rx/prescription.

Caution: Your REM adjustments will be (lost/destroyed/replaced) anytime you make changes that are significant enough to cause a new (Rx/Prescription/Re-Calculation) of gain. In other words any changes you make (except for very minor changes) will cause REM adjustments to be lost.

imo> It's dumb to force all Audiologist to rerun REM each-and-every-time a fitting change causes your gain to be re-prescribed. Or worse, that the audiologist doesn’t rerun REM and therefore the original REM adjustments are simply discarded. That chaps my hide!

My wish is that REM could be represented (AND stored in your HA settings) as (+ / -) REM values to be applied to your base gain values.

Yes I understand that changes to you hearing loss (especially major changes) could invalidate any previous REM adjustments. Perhaps that could be handled in some fashion. Anything seems better than the default of simply discarding your REM adjustments.

On my Wish-List of new features for future hearing aid fitting software would be to store the (input/Hearing Loss Components/HLC-for short) inside the hearing aids alongside the (output/Prescribed-Gain/Rx-for short).

The HLC's listed below could be stored inside your hearing aids and database in a generic/standard format available to any/all hearing aid fitting software. Did I miss any hearing loss components/HLCs?
  • Audiogram
  • Power of RIC-Receiver or Power of BTE-Speaker
  • Acoustics (earpiece and vent size)
  • ACT (Audible Contrast Threshold) this is your threshold (or amount of separation) between speech and noise
  • REM (+/-) adjustments
The goal; When the fitting software determines that your HLC's have not substantially changed, then your new Rx/Prescription/Calculation can just reuse the old/previous REM (+/-) adjustments, as opposed to discarding the REM (+/-) adjustments.

Last edited:
Back