Is this a good idea, in general?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CJolliff

Reaction score
I'd like to see what both users of hearing aids and manufacturers of hearing aids would think of this idea. I'm with a small company that would like to be a big one.

Here's the idea: we want to sell hearing aids to the public the same way that cell phones are sold. They use expensive technology, and still need the cooperation of audiologists. That won't change. What will change is the method of purchase.

Instead of buying a hearing aid with a big wad of cash, credit cards, or pricey credit systems like AllWell, I want to sell subscriptions to a complete hearing aid program on a monthly basis at a reasonable price/month.

You'd get new batteries for your aids on a regular schedule, replacement tips, equipment & software to adjust your fitting and hearing settings, and every two (three?) years you could turn in your hearing aids for a new set, pre-fit with your latest audiogram and custom fitted to your audiogram remotely, through your computer.

Fittings will be done remotely using compatible fitting hardware/software options (either shipped out and returned, or packaged into the service price) and there are many remote software options for operating the software.

I have a manufacturer lined up. I imagine others would be willing to participate. I assume they'd all love to make bunches of the same hearing aid...easy manufacturing, easy packaging and shipping.

I know there's a risk in putting out a product where the payments are predicated on the continued goodwill of the customer. I think the majority of people are honest, though, and although we would probably lose a few, I doubt the impact on the bottom line will be that noticeable.

Obviously the Internet would be a good sales channel, but I think direct advertising (probably TV, maybe shopping networks) would be great, too. I would like to know about other sales channels.

So the questions I have for you are:
  1. Is this something hearing aid users would want?
  2. At what monthly payment would this seem fair to a lifetime hearing aid user ($25, $50, $75, etc.)?
  3. Do you think many people will "dine-and-dash" on these contracts, forsaking the ongoing benefits for a cheap hearing aid and a credit blemish? Any ideas on percentages of non-payment?
  4. How often do real innovations in hearing tech come about (thinking about 2-3 years replacement plan, similar to cellular phones)?
  5. Are there other expendables that would be great to add to the program (cleaning supplies, tools, etc.)?
  6. For those of you who run retail stores: would this be a viable product to sell in your stores?
  7. Would it compete with or out-do your base model hearing aids?
  8. As a hearing aid user, what features would YOU want in this hearing aid?
  9. As tech-savvy people age and enter the market, do you think they'll stay tech savvy and favor a system that allows them to adjust their own hearing aids through their computers?

Feel free to offer other suggestions, ask different questions, or even question my plan. I am ONLY looking for feedback on this idea, so I don't have any job openings...yet.

Back