Bill

BillB

Reaction score
HI all, I'm Bill from Oklahoma. I've had ear problems for years but finally got it checked out the last few months. My ENT tells me that it's recruitment and there is nothing he can do. He says hearing aids may be able to help but from what I've read it's not a sure thing. Looking for advise from people who have been there. Thanks.

Bill

Bill, unfortunately this is not a very active forum which explains why you haven't gotten any responses.

I have some recruitment if my hearing aids' volume is set too high. I don't know what is available, assuming you have normal hearing.

Thanks Loveblue. I've been dealing with this every way I can for some time. My ENT tells me there is nothing he can do and I can't find another DR even willing to look at it. It's driving me crazy, every day I have this huge noise in my left ear and anything I can hear is garbled at best. Louder noises seem to be like someone with a cheap bullhorn screaming in my ear. Even my own voice buzzes in that ear.

On the 0-110 audio test, I range from 40 to 60 in both ears. The 60 is in the higher side of the chart.

I would really appreciate it if you can stick around and tell me anything you can. Thanks so much

Sounds like you may have tinnitus. I have heard of people who have really loud tinnitus. Luckily I can usually ignore mine.
Since this site is not very active, I will suggest a few other sites to also check out (not that you should stop coming to this site).
AllDeaf.com (AllHearing is an off-shoot of this site that is more for HoH than deaf/Deaf but many HoH still visit that site)
HearingAidForums.com - there are audiologists on this site.
HearingLoss.com ?? This is HLAA's site. There is information on this site plus a forum you can join.

I know I have tinnitus and can deal with that. I also have a hearing loss that I can deal with. What I can't deal with is this recruitment that makes anything over a low level noise seem to explode in my ear.

Curious, do you have any recruitment problems without the hearing aid? I haven't done anything yet in that area but trying to get appointments.

Thank you. I'm trying to get any info I can. I'll check out what you suggested.

Bill

No, I haven't noticed any recruitment except when getting my hearing tested & my Audi raises the volume as she tries to find the optimum volume for me.

I hope you can find a way to deal with your recruitment. Good luck!

In case anyone else comes across this, I took some advise and found that stopping any kind of caffeine seems to help some. Not sure why and don't care, but it helps.

Bill

I have some recruitment if my hearing aids' volume is set too high. I don't know what is available, assuming you have normal hearing.

Back