EMF Radiation from Hearing Aids

nanowiz

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone on this forum is concerned or even aware of the damaging EMF radiation from the Bluetooth transmissions that are present in today's hearing aids. Hearing aids are worn directly next to the brain for 15+ hours a day. Any EMF radiation would be a health concern. Based on what I have read, levels <1mW/M2 is considered safe in general. But that close to the brain constantly could still be a concern. Many health advocates are raising concerns over the 5G radiation building up today and from cell phone use, but I have not heard anyone talking about it from Hearing aids.

I had my Oticon OPN miniRite for many years and have measured the level of radiation using my ENV meter and found the radiation to be ~40mW/M2 when Bluetooth is on. Before it was on, the background EMF level was about 0.13mW/M2. Here is a graph of the measurement:
1694045462035.png

So I have gone into the habit of turning BT off when I am not using it to communicate with the phone. It is a simple long push on the right side button to turn it off or back on. Now with the new models of hearing aids coming out, I have been on trial to see if they can improve my hearing, especially in better understanding speech.

The first one I tried was through Hear.com. They got me to try one from Horizon. This hearing aid started with about 2mW/M2 when first turned on. But at the 3 minute mark, it started to blast at 486mW/M2 constantly and CANNOT be turned off. Even disabling the connection to the phone did not turn off this radiation out of the hearing aids contrary to what the audiologist thought. I immediately terminated the trail. Here is the measurement chart:
1694046136023.png

I went back to my original audiologist and she got me to try the Oticon Real. The Oticon do allow Bluetooth to be turned off and the radiation level goes back to close to background levels. But the radiation level when it is on is now 300mW/M2 instead of the 40mW/M2 as in the OPN. Here is the measurement chart:
1694046624651.png

But after multiple adjustments, I was disappointed that it sounded very tinny and gave no improvement to my understanding of speech. I returned it and started trial with the Phonak Audeo Lumity since a friend had great success with it.

The Phonak also supports turning BT off, but it involves turning each hearing aid off independently by pressing the button for 5 seconds and then turning it back on by holding the button for 7 seconds. So it is a hassle to go through this process when a phone call comes in to turn on BT and then off after. Also, the Phonak communicates between left and right through the BT. So when BT is off, you loose a lot of the functionality like volume control and program control since you have to control the left and right separately. This was not the case for Oticon. The Phonak also radiates at multiple levels of radiation power. Once turned on with BT, it hovers at 219mw/M2. But when any app is open, like YouTube or the Phone app, It bumps up to 310-326mw/M2. The kicker is when you start to stream a YouTube video or engage in a phone call, the level jumps to 538-565mW/M2, the highest of all 3 brands.. Here is my measurement chart:
1694047787140.png

I find the Phonak to have a more fuller sound, but I still have the same issue with understanding speech, especially in a noisy environment. Even with just 4 people around a table, I have trouble. I have tried the various programs for noisy environment and it was not much help. It is just not that big an improvement over my old OPN miniRites for the $6K+ cost. I still have another 2 weeks on the trial. But I will likely give up on it. I am hoping that DIY tuning can further improve my OPN miniRites over what the audiologist was able to do.

But back to the main topic, these new hearing aids are toasters for your brain. I love all the new features the Phonak has like double tap to answer a call, but they all require BT on constantly.

Thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• 1694047713293.png
    1694047713293.png
    170.7 KB · Views: 2
I have a feeling that if you compare the emf levels of Bluetooth to those from a cellphone, for example, you'll find that there is a HUGE difference. More so when the cellphone has poor connectivity, and automatically boosts its signal power. Maybe you'll conclude that Bluetooth is far from the main source of emf in your life. But I can't quote you any figures, so I could be wrong. Speaking for myself, I am concerned about cellphone emf, but I don't think Bluetooth is in the same ballpark.

You are right about the EMF levels from cellphones. I have measured my iPhone 7, iPhone 12 and now my iPhone 14 PRO. The radiation is getting stronger as the models get newer. Many of the spikes are multi watts and beyond the max range of my EMF meter. But it is not continuous like Bluetooth. When Bluetooth is ON in my iPhone, it adds a constant 500mW to the radiation too just like the hearing aids. I enable WiFi calling and that cuts down on these huge spikes when WiFi is available. I also try to mitigate by not carrying the phone on me when possible, and I use an EMF shield folding phone case to minimize the radiation when I am carrying it. But hearing aids are worn directly next to the brain and on the body 14-16 hours a day, and there is no way to shield the EMF radiation. So it is a worse problem to deal with than cell phones. If you are interested, I can post those graphs here, but it somewhat departs from the topic of hearing aids.

Thanks for the update. I am curious what equipment you used to generate those emf graphs.

I do realize that the extreme proximity of HAs to the brain makes even lower level emf potentially troublesome. And of course a pair of modern HAs communicate with each other constantly, straight through one's head. I read that Bluetooth power is a couple of orders of magnitude lower than cellphones, but I also don't keep my cellphone pressed to my ear for 18 hours a day.

I mentioned specifically that cellphones are capable of outputing considerably more emf than normal, when used in low-signal environments. I believe that I am able to feel my head heating up when I talk for an extended period under these circumstances. Obviously this is something I avoid whenever possible.

Incidentally, you can find "emf free" or "air tube" type headsets to connect to your cellphone (or at least you could when they had a headphone jack). These use speakers that are located in a unit around your neck, and connect to your ears through regular plastic tubes. I had one of these at one time. Nowadays I just use the speakerphone function on my cellphone to accomplish the same thing.

Edit: to clarify, by "the same thing" I mean avoiding holding a cellphone right next to my head. EMF follows the inverse square law, so distance is pretty important when evaluating the effects of emf radiation.

Last edited:
For Oticon, when you say turned bluetooth off, did you disconnect the bluetooth connection on say a phone or do you mean using flight mode?

Back