Looking at ReSound Nexia or should I stick with Oticon?

rgpagejr

Reaction score
I'm new to HA's and beginning to test out other brands and models. Buying them on the used market and self fitting them as close as I can to each other to find the brand I like the most before I spend a larger sum of money. Currently I have tried Starkey Livio, Starkey Evolv and Oticon More. I am not sold on either 100% but so far I prefer Oticon over Starkey so far.

I work from home in sales so I spend a lot of time on the phone and in virtual meetings so technology is important to me. Plus I am kind of a nerd and love techy stuff. I live in Florida and spend a good part of my free time outdoors (and it get windy) so audio and sound processing is equally important.

Looking at the ReSound Nexia, it looks like it hits most if not all of my boxes. See that these are only released about 4 months ago, the used market is not yet supporting these at a low price if at all. Are there any ReSound users on here that can give an honest review or opinion on these vs something like Oticon Real?

One thing to consider in this clip from a DIY School Hearing Aids PDF File named (Li-ion Rechargeable Battery Replacement);

Demant/Oticon – has battery door access to the rechargeable battery​

Demant/Oticon is the only Big-5 manufacturer to allow battery door access for replacing the rechargeable battery. All of the other manufacturers have chosen factory-repair as the only option available for replacing the rechargeable battery. A pin-tool can be used to open the tamper-resistant battery door. It requires only a gentle push. The picture below, and a → Utube video shows how to open the battery door.

c2.jpg

Last edited:
One thing to consider in this clip from a DIY School PDF File named (Li-ion Rechargeable Battery Replacement);

Demant/Oticon is the only Big-5 manufacturer to allow battery door access for replacing the rechargeable battery. All of the other manufacturers have chosen factory-repair as the only option available for replacing the rechargeable battery. A pin-tool can be used to open the tamper-resistant battery door. It requires only a gentle push. The picture below, and a → Utube video shows how to open the battery door.

View attachment 378
That is a very good point I did not consider. Oticon looks more and more to be the winner for me.

One thing to consider in this clip from a DIY School PDF File named (Li-ion Rechargeable Battery Replacement);

View attachment 378
It is important to note that Demant manufactures the Oticon/Philips/Bernafon lines, and they all have the same hardware (and possibly the same software). I have the Philips 9040 HearLink miniRITE T R, and it is the same as the Oticon miniRITE R shown in the picture. Though I haven't opened it, it has the same battery door for the rechargeable battery.

Yes, good point @Uisge!! I was only differentiating between the Big-5 manufacturers and not their sister companies. So Yes, Bernafon and Philips likely have replaceable rechargeable batteries, and maybe those batteries are the same as Oticon batteries? I dunno?

Though, they do use different fitting software;
  • Oticon Genie 2
  • Bernafon OasisNxt
  • Philips HearSuite

Last edited:
Oh, one more point. The sister company hearing aids (hardware) is not identical. There are differences.

ETA: Edit To Add; Well let me qualify that. It likely starts out as the same Chip/Processor, But then they may de-feature the the copied Brands. They even do that with sub-models of the major brand. For example; More1, More2, and More3, are all the same Chip/Processor but More2 is defeatured and More3 is further defeatured.

Last edited:
I'm new to HA's and beginning to test out other brands and models. Buying them on the used market and self fitting them as close as I can to each other to find the brand I like the most before I spend a larger sum of money. Currently I have tried Starkey Livio, Starkey Evolv and Oticon More. I am not sold on either 100% but so far I prefer Oticon over Starkey so far.

I work from home in sales so I spend a lot of time on the phone and in virtual meetings so technology is important to me. Plus I am kind of a nerd and love techy stuff. I live in Florida and spend a good part of my free time outdoors (and it get windy) so audio and sound processing is equally important.

Looking at the ReSound Nexia, it looks like it hits most if not all of my boxes. See that these are only released about 4 months ago, the used market is not yet supporting these at a low price if at all. Are there any ReSound users on here that can give an honest review or opinion on these vs something like Oticon Real?
Since you work from home and highly technical person, then I would suggest More 1. You could find some reasonable low price for this used model. You only need a power bank for charging the portable charger of More and your Apple mobile phone. More 1 connect to Apple nicely. Phone calls sound goes directly to your HA's.. Zoom/youtube/video connect nicely directly to your More. The most important connection is Apple phone - HA. As More 1 is mFI (made for iphone). If the old MORE HA rechargeable battery is old, change to a new one and it is just like a new HA. If you DIY, maybe you can lower the wind sound. There are a lot of teachers in this forum. Good Luck.

It is important to note that Demant manufactures the Oticon/Philips/Bernafon lines, and they all have the same hardware (and possibly the same software). I have the Philips 9040 HearLink miniRITE T R, and it is the same as the Oticon miniRITE R shown in the picture. Though I haven't opened it, it has the same battery door for the rechargeable battery.
Philips 9030/9040 has the similar battery door to More/Real and can be opened and user replaced. You technically should reset the battery life in the programming software, but this is only to get more accurate battery life estimates in the app and does not impact battery life and is not required. Often when the battery door has been opened you will need to put the aids in the charger for a moment to get them to boot. Bernafon is likely similar, but I'm not certain.

Philips 9030/9040 has the similar battery door to More/Real and can be opened and user replaced. You technically should reset the battery life in the programming software, but this is only to get more accurate battery life estimates in the app and does not impact battery life and is not required. Often when the battery door has been opened you will need to put the aids in the charger for a moment to get them to boot. Bernafon is likely similar, but I'm not certain.
Thanks @Uisge, @hearwell !! I did some more poking around and,,,
  • Yes, Philips 9030/9040 has rechargeable battery replacement instructions in the fitting software
  • Also, Yes Bernafon has rechargeable battery replacement instructions in the fitting software!!
If you don't mind I will continue this discussion in the new Topic below because this Topic is about ReSound vs Oticon;

Last edited:
You technically should reset the battery life in the programming software, but this is only to get more accurate battery life estimates in the app and does not impact battery life and is not required.
I believe you do need to "Reset battery statistics". In other words, maybe it is required because it caused problems for me when I reset only one side → Oticon More Z22A Li-ion replacement battery not fully recharging (stops charging @85%)

ETA: Edit to add Maybe my one example is too small a sample. But this caused me to stop wearing the hearing aids and place them in the charger before the day's end. Now they are okay again after Resetting Battery Statistics for both batteries.

Last edited:
Back