Need to understand what is happening with my ears

leesadb1

Reaction score
I recently was working in Hawaii offshore and i didn’t need my hearing aids I have severe hearing loss. And I flew back home to Texas I need them to live my daily life. Just this past weekend I went to a city by the ocean for some personal errands and i didn’t need my hearing Aids again by the ocean????? Does anyone experience this also?

HMm; Let me try to get an understanding of the different places/environments when you say you don't need hearing aids?

Different soundscapes can be noisy or not noisy. The real test for most of us is understanding human speech in noisy soundscapes. For example, restaurants are maybe the noisiest (and worst) places to understand speech. Except maybe for construction workers using jackhammers. ;)

Perhaps if your normal soundscapes/environments are cluttered with noise then maybe a walk near the beach is simply a less noisy environment.

Ok for example when I was offshore on a ship it was loud and so much wonderful noise that I’ve been missing. Can’t believe I’m saying that but as a deaf person sometimes missing noise is odd. I didn’t need my hearing aids to hear I had full blown conversations with people and i didn’t have to read lips! I soon as I hit mainland I can’t hear again. This past weekend I sat on the beach for 20 min to get fresh air and got into car and the radio was blasting I realized it was my aids so I took them off and I could the music and words just fine. Now I’m back in the city away from ocean and my world is mute again.

At the risk of being seemingly out-of-touch with reality and causing you to become angry, may I propose an alternate explanation. What if you are not physically hearing better and it just seems that way because you are in a happy/euphoric environment?

For example, maybe there is an alternate explanation for the blasting car radio which you can hear fine without your hearing aids. When someone drives a car with the windows down, it's usually necessary to crank up the volume in order to overcome the road noise and wind noise.

Upon stopping the car, instead of readjusting the volume, we usually just shut down the car. Anyway, I do. So the next time someone starts the car (and when initially parked and stopped) the radio is blasting. This happens to me all the time.

May I ask that we poke at this (just a little)? When you were hearing the car radio just fine without hearing aids, did you do any A/B comparison with and without aids and switch them back and forth to make sure you can hear better without aids? Including, listening at the exact same radio volume?

Without an alternate explanation, I am not aware of any other location-related hearing loss??? Unless it's altitude, and you live in a mile-high city?

Last edited:
Maybe I can break it down a bit, when I’m near large bodies of water. While wearing hearing aids I was trying to figure why my hearing was muffled so I’ll pulled them out and realized my hearing was clear and defined. I’d like to entertain the idea of euphoric or happy environment but I was literally offshore working a high stressful job. Lol nothing euphoric about that. To be honest this past weekend when I said errands I was dropping off my toxic momma and then I went to my brothers cemetery to put flowers on his grave and pay a visit! Absolutely nothing exciting about that. I do know that when I start to freak out when my hearing aids are muffled in car and I can’t hear the musics and lyrics I remove and insert numerous times to hear the difference and there is a difference I feel like I’ve never had any hearing issues. Driving further into the city the radio the sound of the car the wind everything gets muffled then I insert immediately then everything is back to hearing clearly with aids. I don’t know if that explains it better. I’m just so confused as to why different locations are allowing me to hear and not hear. I want to see if anyone else has experienced this! I’ve tried to look on the internet and I get loops of pointless info and etc. btw I’m going on 7 yrs of being deaf. Due to head trauma.

I have heard of sudden hearing loss and even hearing loss that varies. But nothing about hearing loss that is different when the person is around a large body of water. Sorry, I can't help with this.

If your hearing loss is temporarily fixed/cured by being next to a large body of water then you should seek professional advice. Perhaps see an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) Doctor.

Back