New Member from Canada

Deaflogs

Reaction score
Hello, everyone,

I am new to this forum and look forward to gaining knowledge and sharing my experiences as a hearing aid user with "missing parts" - anvil, hammer, stirrup, part of the eardrum and mastoid. I also developed auditory nerve related hearing loss in adulthood.

I would love to hear from members who have have gone through a mastoidectomy and have chronic drainage, and whether or not they are able to wear hearing aids and if the quality of the sound is distorted. I purchased Widex hearing aids for both ears. After a number of adjustments, the one for my "good" ear works okay, but after a mould with vent and adjustment of programs, ear cleaning via suction every six months and changing filters, I am not able to hear with the aid from my diseased ear. I explained to many audiologists that it would probably be pointless to be fitted for this ear, but they argued that it would balance the sound, that I still was able to hear so much percentage of speech, blah, blah, blah. I did notice the strain and inefficiency of hearing from just one ear, and the hearing loss in my diseased (right) ear has gotten to the point where, if I sleep on my left side, I don't hear the alarm go off. So now I am hooked on what appears false promises from the hearing aid manufacturers. Should I just save my money and accept the fact that I'm deaf in one ear?

Back