New to hearing aids - do I need to wear full time?

ali

Reaction score
Greetings. I am a 56 year old female just diagnosed with "cookie bite" or mid-range hearing loss in both ears. It is moderate and I can get by in most situations. Only tough times are in restaurants or other noisy environments with people who are soft spoken. All else is good. My Audiologist is having me try a pair of Widex aids. Only on day two (wearing for 4 hours today - tomorrow 5) and find that they are complete overkill for most of my day. I live on my own so no interaction with others where I may miss what they are saying. Watching TV and listening to the radio aren't an issue. (In fact - my dog's bark is SUPER loud to me. Don't love that.) Right now these are just set on a universal range. I know if I buy this model I will have a remote that can alter the setting to my particular situation. I'm just really on the fence if I need to wear these full time. Recently divorced and thinking about dating again - and I know I will want them in those situations so I catch everything being said. I'm all about quick banter, and if I can't grab all they are saying I can't respond in my typical fashion. Any thoughts - for those of you who have been wearing them for awhile, and/or have experienced these issues as well? Is it bad to only wear the hearing aids when I know the situation will call for them? Thank you for any and all thoughts you may have!

My loss also started with a little cookie bite. Now, with a much more serious loss, I often spend most of my mornings alone, unaided. I also have a specialized phone, which is programmed to my loss when I am not wearing them. I am also wondering if you have tinnitus. If you do, even with minimal sound input in a quiet home, the tinnitus will be bothersome. If phone and tinnitus are not problems (as well as radio and TV, which you covered), you certainly have plenty of excuses for not wearing them during all waking hours.

? Ok my hearing is bad (88%) lose both ears & I don’t wear my aids except if I’ll be in a situation where I will need to hear what is being said then I wear them
I lip read automatically so I do pick up what I miss even with my aids
My sister knows how to make sure I understood her, but others are not sure how to do the same so there is sometimes lost understanding
I use CC for tv and videos cause I would have to turn my tv to almost max volume to just get in a few words so CC is best
Most newer aids can be programmed for your hearing lose where your not caught in the middle like it seems you are

Back