Phonak earpieces

hamp

Reaction score
I've had Phonak Audeo Yes IX previously with the dome earpieces and they worked perfectly. Well, after several years one of these hearing aids bit the dust and I now have a pair of Phonak Q90 aids. The audiologist talked me into opting for the cShell ear pieces. I'm not a happy camper to say the least. There are several reasons that I'll list not necessarily in this order.
1-Discomfort in both ears from the hard cShells.
2-I can't hear myself talk which is important when talking to a group..
3-When eating and chewing the left earpiece pops, not from the receiver but from the contact with my ear canal. Chewing food sounds like a volcano erupting in my ears. Hearing a speaker during a luncheon is impossible.
4-I cannot hear during a phone conversation with the hearing aid in. I know this sounds strange but I have to take the hearing aid out to hear.
These hearing aids are still in warranty and I'm sending them back to replace the cShells with the domes tomorrow.
Has anyone else experienced any problems when switching from the domes to the cShell earpieces?

I've had Phonak Audeo Yes IX previously with the dome earpieces and they worked perfectly. Well, after several years one of these hearing aids bit the dust and I now have a pair of Phonak Q90 aids. The audiologist talked me into opting for the cShell ear pieces. I'm not a happy camper to say the least. There are several reasons that I'll list not necessarily in this order.
1-Discomfort in both ears from the hard cShells.
2-I can't hear myself talk which is important when talking to a group..
3-When eating and chewing the left earpiece pops, not from the receiver but from the contact with my ear canal. Chewing food sounds like a volcano erupting in my ears. Hearing a speaker during a luncheon is impossible.
4-I cannot hear during a phone conversation with the hearing aid in. I know this sounds strange but I have to take the hearing aid out to hear.
These hearing aids are still in warranty and I'm sending them back to replace the cShells with the domes tomorrow.
Has anyone else experienced any problems when switching from the domes to the cShell earpieces?

The cShell is also available in soft silicone. You might want to try that and see if it's more comfortable before switching back to domes. There's also a shorter version called the SlimTip. It doesn't extend as far into your ear canal as the cShell.

Depending on the level of your hearing loss, the cShell could be re-made with a larger vent to help with the occlusion. Also, there's a feature in the software called Occlusion compensation which turns down the gain for low-frequency, loud sounds. This should take care of the crunching noises during chewing.

Regarding phone use, you'll have to experiment with positioning the headset over the microphones until you get the best sound. Or you can get the telecoil version of the Audeo (Q90-312T) which will automatically switch into a phone program when it detects a handset.

Back