Random 4 note/tone restarts with Oticon Opn More

Moondoggy

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. Every so often my left Oticon Opn More will play 4 notes/tones and then my right aid will respond with 4 notes/tones. My left aid will then shut down for a few seconds and play the 7 startup tones as it restarts. Once the left aid restarts it's still having an issue as both aids will repeat the 4 notes/tones restart sequence over and over until I shut both aids off and let them sit, (sometimes I place them on the charger) and after both have been off for a while I can start them and things are normal again and can remain normal for quite a while before this random event takes place again. I’m concerned enough that I’m considering having them sent in to be exchanged for a replacement set. Again, anyone else experienced this same issue and if so what did you do to resolve the issue?

How old are your rechargeable batteries? Here's a clip from the fitting software Genie2 / Help / Open help Files / type low battery in the search box and press the Enter key;

OpenBattery low indicator
By default, the instruments issue both an early warning when the battery voltage reaches a certain low point, and a second warning when the voltage is so low that they will turn off.

Pre-warning:The instruments can be set to emit either three alternate beeps or give a voice notification when the battery is running low. For rechargeable instruments, the pre-warning will then repeat every 15 minutes until the battery is spent. For non-rechargeable instruments, the pre-warning will then come only 15 minutes before the battery runs out.

Change battery warning: The instruments emit four short descending tones before turning off.

The fitting software at the END FITTING step has a Batteries selection in the left pane that provides information about your battery charge level and Health;
c1.jpg

Last edited:
If your Oticon More hearing aids / (Oticon Opn hearing aids are older models) are still under warranty then you should be able to get the batteries replaced for free.

I bought a pair of Z22A replacement batteries from a local Audiologist and replaced them myself. Though, you would need the Genie 2 fitting software and a Noahlink Wireless hearing aid programming device to Reset-Battery-Statistics in order to gurantee accurate battery usage beeps.

Oh, battery levels don't keep working all the way to zero%. They will shutdown way before zero. I think I recall shutdown @mid-thirties?

Suggested DIY School Hearing Aids PDF Files; Tip: DIY School cloud storage link is in my Signature line below each of my posts.
  • Li-ion Rechargeable Battery History
  • Li-ion Rechargeable Battery Replacement
  • Li-ion Rechargeable Battery Storage

I'm not sure this is a battery issue. This has happen from time to time over the last year. It will do this and the stop doing it for weeks/months and then it happens again out of the blue. Again the weird part is that once it starts occurring it will repeatedly restart and it will continue until both aids are shot down and remain off for a while. Tonight it started and I put both aid in the charger. After being off for 30 minutes I put them back on. Both showed the battery level at 100% and 15 minutes was good and the the left one restarted. I then shut both aid off for 2 minutes and 4 hours has gone by and everything has been fine since and I still show 80% battery.

Okay, before we dismiss a battery issue; Oticon More has two inductive chargers available.
  • Oticon desk charger
  • Oticon smart charger or travel charger - with a cover on top
Both chargers use (contactless) inductive charging where a coil inside the charger transfers power to a coil inside the hearing aid without making physical contact.

Note that Oticon has recently abandoned inductive charging starting with the new/2024 Intent model which uses (+/-) contact charging plus it uses a magnet in the charger to snug the hearing aid (+/-) contacts into place.

Why? Maybe when used for hearing aids (contactless) inductive charging is not as reliable as old school (+/-) contact charging? But that is just a guess on my part?

One thing we might check if you have the desk charger; What if there is dust-or-debris buildup inside the holes of the desk charger? I like to clean the desk charger holes with Q-Tips and alcohol as preventative maintenance.

The only thing here is that I can look at the Oticon phone app and verify that both aids have plenty of juice when this event happens. I've decided to go see my audiologist this morning and see what she says since she also provided me with my aids.

I paid a visit to my Audiologist this morning and was told that my OPN More hearing aids were defective as she had never heard of that malfunction ever occurring. Fortunately, my aids are still under warranty so she sent them in and provided me a loaner set to use. She indicated that since she felt that the problem was in the circuity of the left hearing aid that she expects that I will get a new set of aids instead of them trying to repair my set so perhaps if they have made any improvements to the circuitry since I got my set I'll benefit from the improvement. Thanks for replying to my query.

That's cool in a way because (at a minimum) you should end up with new batteries. If you have documentation showing your hearing aid serial numbers, then ask your Audi to check the serial numbers when you get the new/or returned pair. I believe that's the only way you will know if they were replaced.

Back