Are the Oticon More aids that much better than the OPN aids?

Tip: Images may appear to be small when you:rolleyes: are not logged on;
@pvc: I'm properly logged in at all times when posting on the site, BTW. Sometimes, I even light a stick of insence ... to show proper deference to the august sages who tarry here! ...:p]

Last edited:
I couldn't resist putting new batteries into my Real2s this afternoon, and firing them up. The words that my stream of consciousness bring to mind are "smooth, electric Tesla power for my ears*" ...:rolleyes:

(*Sorry - it's the best I could do!)

These hearing devices capture so many details and nuances of the soundscape around me that I knew were there, but couldn't perceive, even with my terrific More1s. I really enjoy wearing my Real2s, even though they're not tier1 devices!

[I realize that I haven't posted any substantial anecdotal reports from the field - but I've been tied up at home. My forays to the grocery store, veterinarian's office, and pharmacy have been excellent however. I don't even perceive the presence of hearing aids in my ears.

It's not much help, I know, but I will post more substantial discoveries as I make them! The value of this initial observation may simply be that a trial of the Real devices is warranted by those who currently wear Oticon More devices... I'm usually a skeptic when it comes to second-gen editions of last year's models, but Oticon has surprised me this time. Whatever they have done to tweak the original Polaris platform has improved my hearing!]

Last edited:
Okay ... I got 5+ days out of a pair of out-of-date 312 batteries in my Real2s. I'm sorry to see them go back into mothballs, again. I suspect that the crispness I'm noticing is merely an artifact of the brand new receivers in the Reals, and perhaps not the Polaris S chipset, after all. (I'm saying this as I'm noticing a slight "softening" of the Reals' sound after a couple of weeks' service.)

Gotta run - more details to follow ...

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, @SpudGunner . I heard from a bicycle enthusiast who upgraded from his More 1 to his Real 1 mainly because of the wind handling feature while he rides his bicycle. About 3 months into the Real 1 now, he reported that he doesn't notice much difference in speech in noise improvement or streaming between his More 1 and Real 1. But he's happy nevertheless with the Real 1 for its wind handling feature which is why he upgraded.

Anyway, 5+ days on the disposable batteries for the Real 2 seems to be consistent with what's to be expected. You know, if you think the difference you noticed might have been due to the newer receivers in the Real, as long as they're identical size receivers, you can always swap and take out the newer Real receivers and put them on the More. It's not very difficult to do. You just need a pointy tool to unclip the wiring harness and it should come off without much fuss. Here's a YouTube link on how to do it with a bent out paperclip ->

MaK
... You know, if you think the difference you noticed might have been due to the newer receivers in the Real, as long as they're identical size receivers, you can always swap and take out the newer Real receivers and put them on the More. It's not very difficult to do. You just need a pointy tool to unclip the wiring harness and it should come off without much fuss. Here's a YouTube link on how to do it with a bent out paperclip ->
@Volusiano: I feel stupid that this idea never occurred to me. I change receivers all the time, for cleaning purposes, so I know how it's done!

@Volusiano : I am wearing my More1 devices and am rubbing on them vigorously, attempting to generate handling noise. There is no real handling noise, to speak of. YMMV. I have already reported on the absence of wind noise in my FJ Cruiser.

[Addendum: Thus, good Mr @Volusiano, we may conclude only that your bike-ridding officianado is experiencing what we, in the scientific community, term as "The Placido Effect" (especially in the presence of opera music).]

Last edited:
@Volusiano : It's 6:00 pm AST here and I've just exchanged receivers between my More1s and Real2s . I'll report back on whether they are, indeed, responsible for the difference in sound I'm hearing between the 2 sets of devices - a fair trial will probably take a couple of days.

[FWIW - Instantaneous reaction sez YES! the newer receivers account for the difference in sound quality.]

Last edited:
@Volusiano : I am wearing my More1 devices and am rubbing on them vigorously, attempting to generate handling noise. There is no real handling noise, to speak of. YMMV. I have already reported on the absence of wind noise in my FJ Cruiser.

[Addendum: Thus, good Mr @Volusiano, we may conclude only that your bike-ridding officianado is experiencing what we, in the scientific community, term as "The Placido Effect" (especially in the presence of opera music).]
By the way, I saw some other folks (not this bike riding person) who also reported that the Real seems to perform better than the More in speech in noise situations for them. I wonder if because there usually are more sudden noise conditions in noisy environments, that the new sudden noise handling stabilizer feature in the Real gives them the perception of better speech in noise result. It's hard to say, but at least the sudden noise stabilizer can only help in noisy situations (if there are indeed sudden noises even if the user doesn't realize this).

By the way, I saw some other folks (not this bike riding person) who also reported that the Real seems to perform better than the More in speech in noise situations for them.
@Volusiano: Well, if, indeed, they are perceiving a difference in the Reals' performance, this is not so far-fetched. But - has anyone objectively quantified how much better Reals are at handling sudden noise?

There's a good tracing of sudden sounds with SSS ON and SSS OFF on Page 5 of this white paper but it doesn't show actual values ...

[Addendum: Oticon is SO meticulous with their research designs - they even talk about comparing response values of More versus Real devices - I can't imagine that they would not have quantitative data that explains the differences between the performance of the two. But ... they are probably highly proprietary.]

Last edited:
I thought that figures 6, 8 and 9 give you quantitative data, no?

1689644773089.png

1689644731710.png

1689644838938.png

Attachments

• 1689643575932.png
    1689643575932.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 1
@Volusiano : I either missed these completely, or they didn't load onto my smartphone. I'll try to figure out what happened. I have 16 pages of text now. When I posted my comments, I had only 5 ... Impatient, I was ... Thanks.

Last edited:
I have no idea why MoreSoundBooster is proving to be an effective beam-former since Companion was released, when it was a complete dud with the ON app. (I can't say that the improved beamforming translates into improved comprehension on my part.)

Last edited:
Well, I'm back to my Real2s, which I prefer to my More1s regardless of which set of receivers I employ. They are crisper, clearer, sound stronger, and give me superior speech comprehension and awareness of my surroundings.

[I realize this is at odds with some reactions on another forum, but it is, nevertheless, my take on it.]

Plus, they're #312 battery powered!

Last edited:
@SpudGunner : You have moved to Oticon Real and I am using Xceed with molds. More 1 as a spare. The Xceed is loud enough for the good ear but not for the right ear ( 20 to 40%). Maybe wait for the newer models of Xceed!

@Dankailo: I'm still wearing my
More1s because the rechargeable batteries make them inconvenient to keep as my spares, but I look forward to putting in my Real2s every month or so ... I do find that the definition of sounds amplufied by the Reals is superior.

I'm coming up on the end of the Mores' warranty period. When I get back my refurbished units at the end of the warranty, I intend to retire the Mores and make them my spares, even though maintenance will be a PITA.

Last edited:
Due to my type of HL, I am comfortable with Xceed 1 but need to fine tuned. I am using the More 1 during the weekend. Xceed on battery 675 last about a month before replacing with a new one.
Lost on the high frequency and words comprehension is still poor. But sounds are heard on both HA. Happy with it. Slowly but surely to get better.

Back