Change in gain settings on first connect to Genie2

nanowiz

Reaction score
I have a pair of Oticon OPN 1 that were recent adjusted by my audiologist. Now I am just starting to learn how to DIY using Genie2 on my PC. The first time I got the HAs connected through my NOAHlink Wireless, I imported the existing settings. But I found them to be very different to the screenshot of the settings the audiologist gave me. Just wondering if anyone can help me sort this out as to what I did wrong. The audiologist had the opening in the mold set to large (2.4mm). I measured it to be 1.4mm so I set it to small in my PC. But changing it back to large did not make any difference in these numbers.

Also, my graphs do not have the red and blue shaded regions. Are those the result of the feedback test which is not stored in the hearing aids?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Here are the Fitting Gains chart and numbers...

What I see on my PC:
My Gains.png

What my audiologist gave me:
Audiologist's Gains.png

I just found an interesting phenomena. After I imported the setting in the hearing aids observing the changed settings, I saved it only to the database and exit. The next time, I opened this session without connecting my hearing aids. When I look at the numbers, they are identical to what my audiologist gave me. Can anyone help explain what is going on?

Import is for clients. There is no Import feature for you hearing aid settings. Perhaps you are using the term Import in a general sense?

Your last comment about the interesting phenomena seems like you have accomplished the DIY School Hearing Aids document (02 How to Program your Hearing Aids) Step 4 – Save your Original Professional Settings (if any). That's an important Step4 because now your hearing aid settings and your database settings should be the same. And, those settings are saved in the first database Session. Note that (in the future) you will have to click an expansion arrow ">" to see multiple sessions.

And, (as you indicated) the settings seem to match your audiologist's settings. From here forward each new fitting session should be saved to both (Hearing Aids and database). If you mess something up then you can start over using database session#1 as a starting point.

As to the shaded area visible on your audiologist screen and not your screen; There are many ways to view the settings so it's just one of many different ways to view the settings. Note the darkly colored icons in the middle of the screen. Your Audi has "Show feedback margin" selected and you don't.
c1.jpg

Last edited:
Changing the vent size does not always result in a new Rx/Prescription to generate new gain settings, as per my audiologist.

The first time you open Genie 2 and build a client profile then connect to your hearing aids, Genie 2 should have said something like the settings in the client's profile is different than the settings found in your hearing aids. Then it asks you which one you want to select. I assume that you chose to select the settings in your hearing aids to "download" it into the session? And you call that "import"?

If so, then the gain curve should have looked exactly like what your HCP gave you. I have no idea why it didn't look the same at that point. But at least after you saved the session and reopened it, it now looks like what you expect -> matching with your original settings originally stored in your hearing aids. If you had reopened it WITH the connection to the hearing aids, it still should have matched just the same in theory.

So I can't really explain why you saw a difference originally. I can only guess that there's a bug in Genie 2 and it showed the prescribed gain curve based on the audiogram you created when you created your new client's profile, which may not have matched with the settings in your hearing aids. After you told it to read and download and use (what you call "import") the settings from the aids to the session, it should have shown the correct gain curves stored on the aids. But apparently it didn't, so I'd just chalk it up to some kind of buggy anomaly in Genie 2, as long as after your save the session in your database and reopen it again, you now have matching gain curves to what was on your aids originally. That's what count and you can move forward.

Hi pvc, thanks for the response.

By Import, I mean loading the settings from the hearing aids into the Genie 2 software and saving it to the database. You don't call that import? Or export?

My current problem is that when the hearing aids are connected to the software via NOAHlink wireless, the setting values are totally different as I have shown before. Just totally confused as to what is going on. After I connected the hearing aids 1st time, I got the first set of numbers. I saved to the database, shut down and started the program again without connecting the hearing aids and got the second set of numbers.

I want to experiment making adjustments to the values starting from what is in the hearing aid. But now I don't know where to start. Should I manually change the numbers back to the original numbers and go from there? Or should I just start from what is shown? Afraid to save anything back to the hearing aids in case I mess up the entire profile.

Does the import also load in the audiologist's hearing test data? Or should I manually enter that data in?

Seems to me that Genie 2 has done a recalculation causing all the numbers to be different. But not clear what the recalculation is based on. Just very confused on how that works.

Yes, it is possible you changed/recalculated?

These are your Audiologist's settings below, Right? Take note that they are on gain control #2, and not full volume gain control #3.
ETA: Audiologists tend to set Gain Control at partial volume giving you time to get used to loud sounds.

c1.jpg
Create a new Client and Connect your hearing aids using the new client. Do you see the above settings?

If Yes, Don't do anything else, except Go to End Fitting step and save the settings into your new client's database.

Last edited:
FYI: It works best to say "Noahlink Wireless" because NOAHlink is an old obsolete wired hearing aid programming device that can also function wirelessly if you combine it with another device named nEARcom. See image below of "obsolete" nEARcom on top and "obsolete" NOAHlink on bottom;

c2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Volusiano, Thanks, so "download" is the proper term. Yes, I did select the hearing aids for the profile on startup. The strange thing is that the displayed values are different from what my audiologist gave me until I restart the program without connecting the hearing aids. I also saw a popup asking to recalculate. I did cancelled it before I went on.

I just tried again and the values are consistently the original set from the audiologist now regardless of whether I select hearing aids or database when I start. Guess you are right. It may have been an anomaly. But it happened several times for me that day repeating the same steps.

Last edited:
FYI: It works best to say "Noahlink Wireless" because NOAHlink is an old obsolete wired hearing aid programming device that can also function wirelessly if you combine it with another device named nEARcom. See image below of "obsolete" nEARcom on top and "obsolete" NOAHlink on bottom;

View attachment 168
Ah thanks. Thought NOAHlink is the properly form of the name.

Let me try again. I am doing multi-tasking (tree trimming).
Until you save a copy of your audi settings, perhaps you should not proceed any further?

I think your Original Audi settings are still in your hearing aids. So maybe start over, Ignoring the clients you already created.
  1. Create a new client.
  2. Connect the hearing aids.
  3. During this very first fitting session (with the new client) choose to use the settings from the HAs and then go immediately to END Fitting step and save the settings to the database without changing any of the settings. The first database session (in your new client) is now a copy of your Original Professional Settings.

Hi pvc, Yes I have done that and saved to the database the original professional settings. Now when I connect the hearing aids, the gain numbers stay at those settings. So, think I can proceed to experiment with changing them. Thanks for the help. Still learning from your DIY school. Been busy with other stuff. Next step is to try the hearing test through the hearing aids.

One problem I am having is on the Welcome screen under Personalization, I cannot play any of the sounds. Clicking any of the play buttons get me this error:
Sound Player Error.jpg
Also, the play button in Sound Studio is greyed out. Any idea how I can fix this? I contacted Oticon support and they just reply asking for my license number.
Welcome Screen.png

One problem I am having is on the Welcome screen under Personalization, I cannot play any of the sounds. Clicking any of the play buttons get me this error:Also, the play button in Sound Studio is greyed out. Any idea how I can fix this? I contacted Oticon support and they just reply asking for my license number.

That's because this is DIY, not DI-Oticon ;)

Does your computer play any sounds? At the bottom-right of your computer monitor, (in the Task Bar) right click the little speaker and select (Sound settings).

I
That's because this is DIY, not DI-Oticon ;)

Does your computer play any sounds? At the bottom-right of your computer monitor, (in the Task Bar) right click the little speaker and select (Sound settings).
Yes, it does. And I can play video files just fine. I can launch Sound Studio and stuff in there play just fine.

Help / Help on Genie2 / Sound /
Scroll to 2nd page and find SoundStudio;
Note the NOTE:
c2.jpg

My Play button > is not greyed-out. Though it only play's a worthless reference Demo unless I go directly to SoundStudio.

My Play button > is not greyed-out. Though it only play's a worthless reference Demo unless I go directly to SoundStudio.
MMnnn, wonder why mine is greyed out, and I get that error when I try to Play any of the sounds like "Sharp and distinct" or "Help me focus".

I dunno. Mine plays all of those sounds for (Personalization);
c1.jpg

The are the only Choices I see when Installing Genie2.
c1.png

I completely uninstalled Genie 2 and reinstalled it. Now I can play these audios. Guess something went wrong on the 1st install. pvc, thanks for looking at this.

Back