Device types.

Ed Storm

Reaction score
I have a question for people in the hearing aid industry.

Why so few choices in the types of hearing aids? It seems to be basically just two types, the behind the ear or in the ear. That seems pretty limited as far as ergonomics go.

I’m arthritic in my hands to the point where handling small hearing aids is quite difficult and the possibility of dropping them is ever present. In other words, I’d like to see some larger types of hearing aids that are ergonomically easier to handle for the disabled. For instance, the industry for decades has been marketing themselves as hearing aids that no one will know you’re wearing. In the 21st century with headsets, ear pods and Bluetooth in people’s ears, the concept of hiding a device is only relevant to a small portion of the market. Furthermore, I don’t care to hide the fact that my hearing is damaged. I would like to have a hearing aid device that just pins onto my shirt and works not much different than the communicators on Star Trek and links up through Bluetooth to pods in my ear. So maybe I’m ignorant and there’s some sort of technological limit or a law on audio devices that will not allow this to happen.

Also, I see no real reason why hearing aids need to be so expensive. There’s no real new technology since going digital and and I don't believe there's a whole lot of gold or platinum in them and all the components are pretty standard. As far as I can tell the reason why they’re so expensive is because the market allows it. People feel powerless over exercising their consumer choice in the area of hearing aids and we'll pay an exorbitant amount of money for a device that really doesn't cost that much to make. And as far as setting up the device that should be something I can do on myself.
Something needs to change in the industry.

I don't believe we have any forum members who are "people in the hearing aid industry".

There are more that two types of hearing aids. Read the first section of a DIY School Hearing Aids PDF File named (Unlocking ReBranded Hearing Aids) which explains how the manufacturers defeature some models in order to end up with many different models for each platform. Here's a Picture of the models from one manufacturer. But this is before further dividing each model into sub-models by defeaturing each model;
c1.png

Part of hearing aid usage is (spatial awareness) therefore you can't just willy-nilly place the mics anywhere on your body. For example if the mic is on your chest you will miss the sounds that emanate from behind you. The devices (you need two) need to be on or in your ears.

Ear pods and such are for streaming audio. Streaming is different from interpreting conversation. Streaming is comparatively easy. You tend block out ambient sounds and conversation around you and listen to the stream. With hearing aids we strive to listen/hear/interpret conversation and the ambient sounds around us.

As to the "expense" that's another whole can of worms that I don't wish to rehash. :eek:

As to "Something needs to change in the industry", something has changed. OTC hearing aids are available. Though, if you don't study the options and choose carefully, you may end up with cheap junk that does not properly fit your specific hearing loss.

It is not simple.

Last edited:
Back