Difference between Hi-Pro cables (standard CS44 cable and Phonak/Unitron cable)

pvc

Reaction score
Pinout for the standard CS44 hearing aid programming cable;

image.jpg

Last edited:
What's the difference between standard CS44 cable and Phonak/Unitron CS44a cables?
Pins 3&4 are reversed. That's the difference.

Last edited:
A long time ago (circa 2010) it was difficult to find Phonak/Unitron CS44a cables.

Since the only difference between standard CS44 cables and Phonak/Unitron CS44a cables is Pins 3&4 are reversed, I started a DIY project to make a DIY Converter cable. When you insert the DIY converter between the Hi-Pro and your cables it will convert (CS44 cables to CS44a) or ( CS44a cables to CS44). It works for both cable styles by simply reversing Pins 3&4.

Over the years (decade plus) the pictures got lost from the original project, so I am repeating that DIY project here, with pictures.

Here's a link to the old → Successful project to make a DIY CS44A Phonak programming cable
The concept is simple;
  • Buy a pair of standard (PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse Extension Cables)
  • Cut-and-shorten them revealing 6-wires
  • Eliminate wires 5&6 (we only need 4 wires) and reverse wires 3&4
c3.jpg

Last edited:
When you cut-and-shorten the (PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse Extension Cables) revealing 6-wires, then test continuity/Ohms to determine which color wire is connected to which Male pin. My results were (1=brown, 2=red, 3=orange, 4=yellow, 5=black, 6=green). Pins 5 and 6 are not used for programming hearing aids, so I cut those wires out. And (importantly) reverse wires 3&4 (in this case 3=orange, 4=yellow).

c6.jpg

You can accomplish this by soldering the wires and insulate with heat shrink tubing (difficult) or, if you are familiar with phone wire connectors then you can use those for a cleaner job. See second image from HoH Community member @brec.

c1.jpeg

c2.jpg

Last edited:
You might ask, Why revisit this almost-obsolete subject? Most new hearing aids now use wireless hearing aid programming devices, namely (Noahlink Wireless and soon Noahlink Wireless 2). Also, the different cables (CS44/CS44a) are more readily available now.

Well, some DIYers are still curious. It's in their nature. So this topic is meant to provide technically correct information on this subject as opposed to the jibber jabber found elsewhere.

Do yourself a favor and ignore the Answerbot advice from another forum that repeatedly points to a Cable_Catalogue for NOAHlink. NOAHlink is an old obsolete hearing aid programming device that uses short cables that are specifically designed for that specific/obsolete NOAHlink device. Heck, some of those cables have five pins! Some only three pins (I have a set of NOAKlink 3-pin short cables). The reference to NOAHlink cables will only add confusion!

Here's the obsolete NOAHlink device with short cables; Avoid both!
c6.jpg

Last edited:
Please, write the difference between Hi-Pro cables (standard CS44 cable) and Starkey Purple/Straight Cable

HMm; I did a pinout on the Starkey Purple/Straight Cable about five years ago. But the images got lost, and the pinout was part of the image. :(

Are you looking to use only the cable, or the cable along with Starkey 4-conductor orange flexstrips.

The Starkey Purple/Straight Cable seem difficult to find in recent years. I have also seen some cable/4-conductor all-in-one cables on Aliexpress;
c2.jpg

IIRC - If I recall correctly the Starkey Purple/Straight Cable pinout is different from a standard CS44 cable. Though. if the Starkey fitting software being used does not use all 4-wires then it may not matter? But I dunno?

Last edited:
Thanks for this information,
Now I trying to purchase a programmer with a cable for Evolv CIC, i will get Speedport2 (Found), Orange flex(Found) & CS44 which still searching for it ,
I found a lot of CS44 Part numbers (example in attached),i want to get CS44 or CS44a + DIY your converter.
Because of a lot of P/N, i got confused.
Can you provide us with the part numbers for CS44 and which is CS44a?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 4
Because of a lot of P/N, i got confused.
Can you provide us with the part numbers for CS44 and which is CS44a?
Yep, maybe that's part of the problem. Too many part numbers.
  • Oticon has their part numbers
  • Sonion has their part numbers
  • some have no part numbers?
  • There's also short cables designed specifically for the old going-obsolete programming device NOAHlink. Avoid these, some only have 3-wires.
Tip: When you search online add the words "hearing aids" as part of your search like this → EBay Search. Currently (2024-Q1) I see CS44, CS44a, and even (NOAHlink cables which you should avoid).

Having said all this... Consider that you are setting up tools to work on old, near obsolete hearing aids. imo> The first few batches of digital hearing aids don't work very well. If it were my choice I would look for "newer" digital hearing aids.

Oh, but not really-really new because most rechargeable hearing aids are built to be disposable! That is, all manufacturers except Demant/(Oticon/Bernafon/Phillips) have built-in / non-replaceable batteries.

But the above is just a cautionary statement. To each his own. :)

Last edited:
This is CS44; with no part numbers. Note that this EBay image may disappear/get deleted over time.
s-l1600.webp

Last edited:
This is the more common→ 3-conductor flexstrip for Oticon, Signia, others.
And followed by the Starkey Orange Flex Connector. Note that Starkey is a 4-conductor strip
These are not interchangeable!

25478d8dc796abfd283336e63c674962c849fbdf.jpeg

Repeat: Starkey is a 4-conductor strip!!
These are not interchangeable!
Use Starkey Orange flexstrips only for Starkey hearing aids.
24453d5a0dc471f489f657e9006d421213b79a64.jpeg

Last edited:
This is cable what i have for starkey. Does it work for signia cic?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240205_154208_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    Screenshot_20240205_154208_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 2
Heck no! It's a 4-conductor, wider, won't even fit! Read one post above you post.

A long time ago (circa 2010) it was difficult to find Phonak/Unitron CS44a cables.

Since the only difference between standard CS44 cables and Phonak/Unitron CS44a cables is Pins 3&4 are reversed, I started a DIY project to make a DIY Converter cable. When you insert the DIY converter between the Hi-Pro and your cables it will convert (CS44 cables to CS44a) or ( CS44a cables to CS44). It works for both cable styles by simply reversing Pins 3&4.

Over the years (decade plus) the pictures got lost from the original project, so I am repeating that DIY project here, with pictures.

Here's a link to the old → Successful project to make a DIY CS44A Phonak programming cable
The concept is simple;
  • Buy a pair of standard (PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse Extension Cables)
  • Cut-and-shorten them revealing 6-wires
  • Eliminate wires 5&6 (we only need 4 wires) and reverse wires 3&4
View attachment 329
Can i adjust anything on 4 pin Connector to make it work with signia cic

HMm; I did a pinout on the Starkey Purple/Straight Cable about five years ago. But the images got lost, and the pinout was part of the image. :(

Are you looking to use only the cable, or the cable along with Starkey 4-conductor orange flexstrips.

The Starkey Purple/Straight Cable seem difficult to find in recent years. I have also seen some cable/4-conductor all-in-one cables on Aliexpress;
View attachment 424
I have 3 flix strip cables and i dont have 3pin strip
Wish you have that picture how to pinout cable

I have 3 flix strip cables and i dont have 3pin strip
Okay, that's too confusing??? Can you clarify? What cables do you have? You cannot use Starkey orange flexstrips on Signia hearing aids.

I was mean i have 3 cables same type 3 flix strip Connectors each cable is 4 pin type

Back