My experience buying a new set of hearing aids

carbuff

Reaction score
Good morning . . .

Two weeks ago I decided to do something about my faulty Nu-Ear Proxima hearing aids.
They cost $5500 when I purchased them a number of years ago from a local office of a state-wide company. Recently, that office closed.

The nearest office of the company is located 36 miles from my home. I phoned that office and asked if they had software for my specific model because I was having difficulty with my aids and needed reprogramming. After checking, the rep advised that they did have the software to reprogram my aids. I set up an appointment.

When I arrived for the appointment, the audiologist inspected my two aids, ensconced me in a soundproof booth and tested my hearing. Afterwards, she showed me the results on a chart.

Then, to my dismay, she stated that she did not have software nor was any available for my hearing aids because the model had been discontinued. She recommended that I purchase a current upgrade to the discontinued model. The cost, $2900.

I was quite displeased with the conduct of her company misrepresenting the facts on the phone and told her so. It was obvious to me they knew during my phone call that they did not have software for my model. Instead of being honest about it, they enticed me to drive the 36 miles to their office simply to sell a new set of hearing aids.

The following day I visited two different ENT/audiologist offices within five miles of my home. Each tested me and recommended a number of different brands and models of hearing aids. The prices ranged between $2000 and $3000. I chose Phonak Quest Essential Q30 devices and have been wearing them on a trial basis. The cost, $2500 if I choose to keep them..

I have now had the Phonak aids for two weeks. I am completely satisfied with them. They are comfortable and enable me to hear sounds that had been lost to me. This afternoon during my appointment with the audiologist, I will purchase the Q30 aids.

I recognize and accept the fact that hearing devices do fail after time. If the branch office of my original aids had told me that my model had been discontinued and I would have to consider purchasing replacements, I still might have made an appointment with them. Furthermore, I might have even purchased the Nu-Ear model they recommended. However, their switch and bait conduct motivated me to seek a more ethical establishment for my needs.

In the end, I believe that I have had a successful solution with the Phonak aids. I am confident that I now have a fine product as well as a good association with an excellent audiologist.

Last edited:
It's great that you found HA's that work for you and an audiologist you like and can work with, afterall, that is the name of the game.

Yes Seb, I am quite pleased with the way things turned out. The lady knew her stuff, was pleasant, competent and thorough.

The Phonak aids are so good that I can hear my wife mumbling in the car that I am driving too fast. Ha, ha, ha.

Back