New boomer with first hearing aids

garyvp

Reaction score
After being encouraged by my wife, my brother (he wears aids) friends, and colleagues, I went and got tested and I have a typical mix of moderate to severe loss, increasing in the higher frequencies.

I also live and work in a 'challenging' urban environment of subways, offices, teleconferences, and at night i work in a community theater. And I am married.

SO I ended up with Dream 440 BTEs - which I find quite amazing. Certainly I hear much better, and now hear things long forgotten. I like the fact that I can switch programs easily to suit my environment. I have not had a re-tuning yet - my audiologist wants me to stay on program for a month or so. I just love the technology of it all. The bluetooth MDEX device is cool, especially for telephone calls and videos on the laptop.

So far, living with HAs has been fine, after a few weeks i don't notice them in my ears. I almost showered in them last week - yikes.

The only thing I cannot get used to is the sound of my own voice, especially in hard environments - way hollow. I guess that takes time.

Gary,

Your voice sounding hollow could be from to large of dome or too small of vent if you have earmolds.

Back