Noahlink wireless, what is so special in it?

kurt_w

Reaction score
The Noahlink wireless device is used as a Bluetooth linking device between the HAs and the programming software (e.g. Genie 2).
I wonder why this functionality could not be supplied by another device such as a BT 5.3 USB adapter with BLE?
Does anybody know the technical background why the Noahlink wireless is absolutely necessary?
Thank you all for any hints!

Hi @kurt_w Welcome;
HMm; I think maybe it's because BT 5.3 USB adapters (BLE or otherwise) use wireless streaming protocols. A hearing aid programming device needs other functionality (read, write, update hearing aid firmware) things like that. I know that's a generic explanation but they don't publish any description of the communications protocol that goes on between the hearing aid fitting software and your hearing aids? But I'm pretty sure it's more complicated than streaming protocols.

Oh btw; for a historical perspective of hearing aid programming devices you can read a DIY School Hearing Aids PDF file named (Evolution of the Hearing Aid Programming Devices). I have moved that PDF file to the (DIY School Legacy Hearing Aids) section because all the newer hearing aids are now using Noahlink Wireless and recently Noahlink Wireless 2.

You can find both current and legacy DIY School Access Portals
here → DIY School Hearing Aids (v2.2)

Last edited:
Another difference between the two protocols (streaming vs hearing aid connection) may be somewhat obvious if you think about it;
  • Wireless Streaming protocols require that two devices are "paired" in order to establish a streaming connection.
  • Hearing aid fitting software waits for a Connect command from the human user to to establish a connection (though it may initially try connecting when opening a fitting session). Also, the hearing aids themselves (in addition to having Bluetooth turned off for any connected device/cellphone) must be prepped to "enter fitting mode" by off-on cycling the hearing aids, or by briefly placing them in the charger and removing them to accomplish the same "enter fitting mode".
I suspect the (not trying to continuously connect) is done so that the fitting software is not hanging around waiting for a hearing aid connection, trying again and again to establish a wireless connection which may never happen. That would waste a lot of CPU cycles for nothing.

Thank you for this fast reply, pvc!
BTW, do you have a PC in front of your head 24/7?

Yes, and counting today, for several decades now :eek:

Back