Oticon and Genie programming attempt.

Drummerboy

Reaction score
Hi all.
First time attempt at programming so bear with me please.
What I am encountering when I connect the Reals to the Genie software is normal volume to begin, everything seems ok, but some changes that I do make leave an undesirable volume uptick.
For example in the personalization page when making adjustments according to my responses to the questions or later in the fitting section when I change the formula>General program to VAC+ from DSL adult.
Volume increases to quite loud with a fan like noise, possibly hearing my PC. My own voice gets loud also.
Just wondering if there is a place in the software to lower the volume or is it something else.

That wasn't a long read but an informative one, thank you. Any idea why the volume increases? I wouldn't mind finding a way to keep the volume stable or lower it down while attempting some adjustments.

A Fitting Rationale (when calculated/Rx'ed/prescribed) for your specific hearing loss using specific hearing aid models and specific acoustics, will produce a set of gain controls (with upper limits controlled by MPO).

Here's mine displayed as 16 Gain Handles which could also be displayed as (3 or 24) Gain Handles instead of 16. The gain can be adjusted many ways by (selecting/hi-lighting or even mouse-dragging) specific gain or groups of gain and adjusting with (+ or -) mouse clicks for both ears (joined symbol = c2.jpg or separate ears (un-joined symbol = (0 0). For safety reasons don't change MPO!
c1.jpg
For simple adjustments you could just (selecting/hi-light) either (Loud, Moderate, or Soft) and adjust with (+ or -) mouse clicks for both ears.

However, it seems these will be just a shot in the dark. Best Practice is to do this by selecting the Fitting Rationale which is best suited for;
  • your hearing loss (which we don't know anything about because your Signature does not have a link to an image of your Audiogram)
  • the hearing instruments best suited for your hearing loss (it's not one style fits all)
  • the Acoustics best suited for your hearing loss/instruments
But even then, then the (calculated/Rx'ed/prescribed) gain should be measured again using expensive REM technology to re-adjust the sound (if necessary) when the sound is not matching the same (Rx/prescription) when measured near your eardrum.

Tip: Perhaps the proprietary Fitting Rationale designed by the manufacturer may take advantage of proprietary features in that manufacturer's hearing aid models. Though, I don't know much about that?

Last edited:
Thanks PVC appreciate the input. That explanation furthers my knowledge into programming. I was thinking that the best and safest approach will be to consult with my Audi next week. Have him do the heavy lifting, I should stick to the minor tweaks.

Not all audiologists perform the additional REM/Real Ear Measurement step. But when they do, one of the first things you will want to do is to save those (original Audi settings Plus REM) as your first fitting session so that you can revert back to the professional settings at any time in the future.

Please read; Step 4 – Save your Original Professional Settings (if any) as described in a DIY School Hearing Aids PDF file named (02 How to Program your Hearing Aids).

Last edited:
Some DIYers cut the professional-cord altogether, and proceed with one of these two DIY methods,
  1. Enter the Audiogram and (calculate/Rx/prescribe) the gain based solely on the Audiogram and forgo the extra REM/Measurement.
  2. Use in-Situ (listening for beeps in the hearing aids) and then (calculate/Rx/prescribe) the gain based solely on the in-Situ measurements, and also forgo the extra REM/Measurement.
In cases such as these two, don't forget to specify the correct Acoustics.

Back