Ric/rite?

Deanne

Reaction score
Anyone use these with full earmolds? I have low frequency loss in one ear, but I'm wondering if I would be much more comfortable with a solid mold in that ear and a more open fit in the other.

Anyone use either/or? Do they slip around? I only have experience with the crappy domes which popped out of my ears constantly, and skeleton and half-skeleton molds.

Wind noise is a huge problem for me and I'm guessing the RIC are much better for that, yes?

Anyone use these with full earmolds? I have low frequency loss in one ear, but I'm wondering if I would be much more comfortable with a solid mold in that ear and a more open fit in the other.

Anyone use either/or? Do they slip around? I only have experience with the crappy domes which popped out of my ears constantly, and skeleton and half-skeleton molds.

Wind noise is a huge problem for me and I'm guessing the RIC are much better for that, yes?
I used to have full ear molds until 1999 when I got new ear molds that were smaller. Never had problems with them.

Someone told me that it varies on a person's deafness in relation to which ear mold is recommended. I don't know if that's true. That's probably something you're better off asking your audiologist.

guessing wind the most annoying problem, I know about the wind noise thing too, the only way I can think of around it is to customize some kind of aerodynamic vent so that the mic is either channeled downwards to a 95+ degree angle or backwards like a U.

Otherwise engineers should just make full body casing and you get reduced sound at the benefit of no drag from the wind.

I've always used custom earmolds with my hearing aids. I did try open fit aids with domes but didn't like them. Custom molds are much more comfortable and if made correctly stay in your ear. I have a full mold with a large vent on my Vigo Pros and I have a smaller micro mold with a large vent for my Agil Pros. The full mold is easier to insert and remove than the micro mold but with a micro mold you know you won't lose your HA because it fits pretty snug in your ear canal.

The better your low frequency hearing is the larger the vent will be in your earmold and if your low frequencies are bad you will have either a very small vent hole or no vent hole. They also have a mold with an "adjust a vent" which allows you to modify the vent size by inserting different "plugs" into the hole in the mold with different size vent holes, this allows you to find the right size vent hole for your particular loss without having to have a lot of earmolds made with different size vent holes.

Hi Deanne,

RIC and RITE essentially mean the same thing, they are just named different for each manufacturer

You can use RIC or Open-Fit hearing aids with ear molds if you require additional low frequency gain, or if you have difficulty finding a suitable fit with pre-made earbuds. The problem with wind noise is addressed using hearing aid technology, more so, than using venting. New hearing aids typically use filters and advanced microphones to provide more attention to speech and less amplification or annoyance from noise and wind. I've fielded a lot of questions about ear buds and have created an explanation as to which buds are designed for what purpose. The link below takes you to a trouble shooting guide on our website; half way down lists various buds and an explanation of their purpose.

Trouble Shooting Hearing Aid Problems | Clearly Hearing

Back