Should I upgrade? Should I wear both hearing aids?

charlieclick

Reaction score
It’s nice to have found this forum. Hello.

I’d love some advice from any members who are happy to share their knowledge.

I’ve had hearing loss on one side for a long time, it’s mainly conductive. Having had three surgeries, the surgeon says he doesn’t think he can improve t any more and recommended hearing aids. Previously (twenty years ago) a surgeon told me hearing aids would not help me.

I live in the UK and have been fitted with NHS (free) hearing aids. They are much more technically advanced than I was expecting (Bluetooth), which is wonderful, but I am struggling a bit, and I wonder what a top-of-the-line hearing aid would offer in terms of sound quality.

I’m 49. My model is “Bernafon Viron A5 BTE 85.” I hope a RITC model will have better sound quality.

I’ve had the hearing aids since the New Year and, for the last month, have only been wearing the left. The right made me feel too isolated from the world, and it felt like the rubber dome was sealing my ear canal.

As soon as I put the hearing aid on, I have to turn it down from 63% to 45%. Otherwise, it’s just too loud.

It’s great for just walking around the city, talking to people in shops or at work.

I love being able to watch the TV with my wife and have it at a sensible volume.

When the conversation gets a bit loud, I get distortion that borders on painful—kind of like the sound is “peaking.” I also get a sound in my ear akin to hearing a train coming down the track while listening to the rail (if that makes sense).

I’m struggling with it, but I wear it every day, so it must be more beneficial than detrimental. Any advice is appreciated.

Charlie.

IMG_1797.jpeg

IMG_3029.jpeg

What were the results of discussions (if any) with your NHS Audiologist?

Hello PVC.

Unfortunately, the audiology and hearing aid supply was outsourced to a high-street chain called Specsavers.

They have adjusted the settings for the hearing aids and say the fit in the right is fine, and I should get used to it. It's nowhere near as good as going to the hospital to see an audiologist. So, my next step is to visit a privately owned audiologist (small business) as they should supply any brand, and I'll get better care. But it will be expensive, so I'd like to know the parameters of what a high-end hearing aid can do for me and what it can't.

One of the reasons I'm not asking in a shop is that I don't know how to choose a good audiologist. There are so many here in London and it's confusing.

I'd like to know the parameters of what a high-end hearing aid can do for me and what it can't.
I can't say. Your hearing loss is atypical/unusual and I don't know how to fit your loss? I am not a professional. Though we can chat about your situation.

First off, I don't think you have “Bernafon Viron A5 BTE 85” hearing aids. Although BTE and RITE/RIC both fit behind your ear they are very different. With BTEs (on the right below) the speaker is (builtin/inside) the hearing aid. BTEs are power hearing for Severe/Profound hearing loss. I believe you have Viron miniRITE "VN5 MNR" hearing aids with 85-Receivers/Speakers.
c2.pngc0.png

I wonder what a top-of-the-line hearing aid would offer in terms of sound quality
The right made me feel too isolated from the world, and it felt like the rubber dome was sealing my ear canal.
I believe you are close enough to "top of line" for your evaluation. What I mean is, if your are expecting much better results with newer hearing aids then I think you will be disappointed.

Can you tell us about your acoustics? Which type of Dome are you using? (see examples below) because sealing your ear canal (same feeling as sticking your finger in your ear) may mean your Acoustics are causing occlusion. Open domes tend to lessen occlusion and Bass domes or power Domes tend to cause more occlusion,

c1.png

I hope a RITC model will have better sound quality.
I don't know what an RITC model is? ITC is tiny hearing aids that fit completely in the ear canal. They are custom molded to fit your ear canal.
Unfortunately, the audiology and hearing aid supply was outsourced to a high-street chain called Specsavers.

They have adjusted the settings for the hearing aids and say the fit in the right is fine, and I should get used to it.
How many fitting sessions did you get from Specsavers?
Do you maybe have Sensitivity to Loud Sounds/Hyperacusis/Recruitment?

I don't think you have “Bernafon Viron A5 BTE 85” hearing aids. Although BTE and RITE/RIC both fit behind your ear they are very different. With BTEs (on the right below), the speaker is (built-in/inside) the hearing aid. BTEs are power hearing for Severe/Profound hearing loss. I believe you have Viron miniRITE "VN5 MNR" hearing aids with 85-Receivers/Speakers.
I didn't realise BTEs are for more pronounced hearing loss. I do have the "Viron BTE 85." (The speaker is inside the grey unit and sound travels through a clear plastic tube to get to my ear). It's really a case of getting what you're given with the NHS. I think Specsavers must have a whole bunch of stock they sell to the NHS. They told me that if these were private hearing aids, they would cost around £750, whereas the top-of-the-range Phonak etc., is more like £3,500.

Can you tell us about your acoustics? Which type of Dome are you using? (see examples below) because sealing your ear canal (same feeling as sticking your finger in your ear) may mean your Acoustics are causing occlusion. Open domes tend to lessen occlusion and Bass domes or power Domes tend to cause more occlusion,
I have complete rubber domes that look similar to the Bass domes in your reference image. I really feel like, in my right ear, it feels like I have my finger stuck in there and it's sealed. I don't think I can get any other type of dome for the type of hearing aid I have. I asked.

I don't know what an RITC model is? ITC is tiny hearing aids that fit completely in the ear canal. They are custom molded to fit your ear canal.
Sorry, I got the acronym wrong. I meant to say RIC.

How many fitting sessions did you get from Specsavers?
Do you maybe have Sensitivity to Loud Sounds/Hyperacusis/Recruitment?
I had two fitting sessions, although one was from a student audiologist.
I just had to look up Hyperacusis. Yes, that's certainly possible. Is it possible to be hard of hearing and sensitive to loud sounds? With the hearing aids, cooking and cleaning are pretty unpleasant. Cutlery, pots, pans, and utensils are verging on painful.

It's really generous of you to help me out like this CVP. Thank you.

Charlie.

Is it possible to be hard of hearing and sensitive to loud sounds?
Yes, → it is possible. Though, I only mentioned it to poke at whether or not you have a history of that type of sensitivity.
Maybe that has nothing much to do with your current situation?

Your right ear has normal hearing in some frequencies (see the chart/image below). imo; using a powerful BTE hearing aid for your loss (especially your right ear) is very wrong. Using a student audiologist to fit your complicated unusual hearing loss, also seems very wrong to me. I believe you have the wrong → Acoustics/Mold and it's occluding your right ear.

Do you have free trials in England? Or, a Costco location nearby. Maybe you should test a few new hearing aids and in the process ask questions and get free professional opinions about the best way to fit your atypical hearing loss. Try to use your free Audiologist visits to further your education about fitting your hearing loss.

But be careful. Free is not always free. Read the contract first and not after your are walking out with the hearing aids. Ask for a copy of the contract up front and come back for the hearing aids and the fitting later.

ETA/Edit To Add; This is a typical ski-slope hearing loss below and it shows where normal hearing is. BTEs are usually for Severe/Profound loss, and not just loss in the very high (bird tweeting) frequencies but severe/profound loss in the lower mid-range frequencies too.
web2-lp-hearing-loss-degree-audiogram-548.png

Last edited:
The Yellow part is called the Speech Banana showing (decibel levels and frequencies) where you hear speech. For example words that begin with "sh" at 40 decibels and in the 2000-3000 frequency range;

audiogram_sounds-png.115

Thank you so much.

I'm not sure anywhere in England allows trialling hearing aids unless you commit to buying them, but I've yet to speak to an independent audiologist. Perhaps I can get some free advice. Thank you for the two diagrams. They are really helpful.

I feel much better armed to go and speak to someone now and hope to do so next week.

Back