Tinnitus + Hyperacusis

BillB

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'll try to make a long story short.

I've been to four different hearing DRs and am getting the same answer. I've had tinnitus for years and my hearing dc is between 40-70. About a year ago, I started to get what I was told is recruitment and it's got worse. Certain sounds seemed extremely loud and it seems to grow over time. Two DRs said there was nothing they could do, go home and live with it. The third referred me to a top DR who I waited two months for a visit.

This new DR said the recruitment/hyperacusis cannot be reversed but hearing aids that use white noise to help mask the sounds and get the brain to retrain itself to ignore stuff could help. She also said anti-anxiety drugs can often help as it helps the brain to stop scrambling to hear things that the ear can't deliver, creating all the mind numbing loud noise. So I called around trying to find a HA Dr who could come up with something. The first few told me that they can't do that kind of HA but one said they could try and I made an appointment.

This HA DR told me she had dealt with HA for people with tinnitus and people with hyperacusis but never one with both. After she explained the 30 day return policy and it might take months to get results, I decided to try the anxiety drugs first.

Any one ever been down this road? I would appreciate any comments.

Bill

I have profound hearing loss and tinnitus. There is not enough studies to prove that certain anti-anxiety drugs can help with your problem. I just got Widex hearing aids and these Widex hearing aids have the Zen program built-in which is a revolutionary tone and relaxation program that plays random and harmonic tones in stereo to help relax or manage tinnitus.

Thanks Terost. I've been taking Escitalopram for about three weeks now. Things started getting weird around the end of the first week but it seems to have settled in. Not sure it it has helped as I am working in a somewhat quieter environment than before, at least for now. I have another appointment in a week

I'll keep coming back and keep in contact. Thanks!

Bill

Thanks Terost. I've been taking Escitalopram for about three weeks now. Things started getting weird around the end of the first week but it seems to have settled in. Not sure it it has helped as I am working in a somewhat quieter environment than before, at least for now. I have another appointment in a week

I'll keep coming back and keep in contact. Thanks!

Bill

Bill,
You might want to ask your doctor why they prescribed a drug for you that is known to be Ototoxic. Your anxiety level might improve regarding the tinnitus and hyperacusis but your hearing loss could get worse.

I have had tinnitus and I don’t know for how many years I have been to an ENT. I first thought that it was mere sinus issue. But recently after a detailed evaluation my doctor at Bowmanville discovered that I had virtually no hearing left in one of my ears and recommended me to choose any good quality hearing aids. I opted it and don’t find any kind of trouble using it.

Back