Tips on Buying Second-Hand Hearing Aids

Zeeza

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new here.
Someone suggested that I could consider buying used hearing aids from another country. (Although I know shipping hearing aids to Egypt might not be a smart idea because of all the red tape applied)
First of all, how to make sure the hearing aid is working and to avoid fraud.

Would it be easy to have them programmed in a company in my country? Or in the worst scenarios, if I need to have them fixed at some point?

What should I look out for? What should I not compromise about?

Do you have any recommendations regarding my hearing loss? (Hearing assessment attached)

How can I educate myself on software with my old hearing aids?
*Siemens CIC Lotus Pro (R) & Signia Nitro CT (L)

Attachments

• Audiogram 1.jpg
    Audiogram 1.jpg
    680.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Audiogram 2.jpg
    Audiogram 2.jpg
    650.9 KB · Views: 4
Hi @Zeeza Welcome.
That's a lot to unpack;
  • how to make sure the hearing aid is working.
  • how to avoid fraud.
  • Would it be easy to have them programmed in a company in my country?
  • Would it be easy to have them fixed/repaired?
  • What should I look out for?
  • What should I not compromise about?
  • Do you have any recommendations regarding my hearing loss?
  • How can I educate myself on software with my old hearing aids?
Please start here → DIY School Hearing Aids (v2.2). It has a library of PDF Files in cloud storage for you to read.

Here's a clip below from a DIY School Hearing Aids PDF File named (Choose Hardware-Programming Device for Signia); The Legacy hearing aids you are currently wearing, are too very old;
These Legacy hearing aids (MOTION, LIFE, PURE, AQUARIS, ECLIPSE, iMINI, EXPLORER, NITRO, INTUIS, PHOENIX G3, LOTUS) are too old to provide tedious detail. You can use the procedures above for Signia Older/Legacy to find your specific hearing aid and then use the Cable overview for how to connect your hearing aids to the fitting software.

Short answer to a couple of questions from your question dump;
  • It will be very difficult to have HAs programmed by a company in your country
  • factory repair is very difficult and very expensive
  • you can get the Legacy software for your Legacy hearing aids but don't expect much help with legacy
  • your hearing loss is not the typical age related ski-slope hearing loss

Last edited:
Hi @Zeeza Welcome.
That's a lot to unpack;
  • how to make sure the hearing aid is working.
  • how to avoid fraud.
  • Would it be easy to have them programmed in a company in my country?
  • Would it be easy to have them fixed/repaired?
  • What should I look out for?
  • What should I not compromise about?
  • Do you have any recommendations regarding my hearing loss?
  • How can I educate myself on software with my old hearing aids?
Please start here → DIY School Hearing Aids (v2.2). It has a library of PDF Files in cloud storage for you to read.

Here's a clip below from a DIY School Hearing Aids PDF File named (Choose Hardware-Programming Device for Signia); The Legacy hearing aids you are currently wearing, are too very old;
These Legacy hearing aids (MOTION, LIFE, PURE, AQUARIS, ECLIPSE, iMINI, EXPLORER, NITRO, INTUIS, PHOENIX G3, LOTUS) are too old to provide tedious detail. You can use the procedures above for Signia Older/Legacy to find your specific hearing aid and then use the Cable overview for how to connect your hearing aids to the fitting software.

Short answer to a couple of questions from your question dump;
  • It will be very difficult to have HAs programmed by a company in your country
  • factory repair is very difficult and very expensive
  • you can get the Legacy software for your Legacy hearing aids but don't expect much help with legacy
  • your hearing loss is not the typical age related ski-slope hearing loss
Hey,

Thank you so much for your reply!

This sounds quite complicated given how different the situation is in my country.
I think I will go with buying new hearing aids here. In the meanwhile, I will educate myself more on my hearing loss and hearing aids.

Audiologists prefer selling you new hearing aids to make a profit and (in return) include their professional services as a package deal/price. When you walk into their office/practice with your own set of used hearing aids from EBay they usually frown :( because there is no profit.

Pvc answerd perfect
But in egypt there are many brands of hearing aids
Maybe you can buy new hearing aids from arabe country jordan for example but really egypt is good prices than jordan or other country.
Maybe you need to try many brands before you buying hearing aids
You can see which brands is better for you.

Audiologists prefer selling you new hearing aids to make a profit and (in return) include their professional services as a package deal/price. When you walk into their office/practice with your own set of used hearing aids from EBay they usually frown :( because there is no profit.
I totally understand that. However, I'm afraid I will not be able to figure out the hearing aids on my own and that I might need an audiologist or a professional help at some point. For example, to get earmolds, definitely I need to go to a company to make the impressions.

You will need earmold for the left ear for sure with that kind of heavy loss. For the right ear, you can probably get buy with a generic dome and an 85 dB receiver. On the left year, you'll need at least a 100 dB receiver, preferably a 105 dB receiver with custom molds. If you can't get access to get custom earmolds, you can probably try a generic power dome, but that depends on how luck you are if the power dome can fit well and snugly into your left ear canal without leaking sound out. But it's better to get custom ear mold to ensure the best fit.

If you're technical enough, you might be able to figure out what all the parameters in the programming of your hearing aids are. There are online help and resources here to help you get started, but if you're not technically inclined and self-help inclined, or don't want to spend the time learning, then the DIY option may not be right for you. But if you have the money to invest in a NoahLink Wireless (less than $200 US) and the will to learn, you can start out slow and read up on things here and look at online help for the programming software and ask questions when you have it.

I
You will need earmold for the left ear for sure with that kind of heavy loss. For the right ear, you can probably get buy with a generic dome and an 85 dB receiver. On the left year, you'll need at least a 100 dB receiver, preferably a 105 dB receiver with custom molds. If you can't get access to get custom earmolds, you can probably try a generic power dome, but that depends on how luck you are if the power dome can fit well and snugly into your left ear canal without leaking sound out. But it's better to get custom ear mold to ensure the best fit.

If you're technical enough, you might be able to figure out what all the parameters in the programming of your hearing aids are. There are online help and resources here to help you get started, but if you're not technically inclined and self-help inclined, or don't want to spend the time learning, then the DIY option may not be right for you. But if you have the money to invest in a NoahLink Wireless (less than $200 US) and the will to learn, you can start out slow and read up on things here and look at online help for the programming software and ask questions when you have it.
I asked Phonak in Egypt, I can get the ear molds with them but I can't have the hearing aids programmed unless I have the warranty or bought them from their company.

I would have liked to give it a try and do it myself but I'm not confident enough in my skills! :( I'm afraid I will mess it up especially, I can't afford buying another pair if something goes wrong with the ones I buy from abroad. :(

Back