New Oticon Sirius Platform, with one new model (Oticon Intent miniRITE)

I agree that we don't really know for sure if it's really a new platform or just a rename attempt. But I, on the other hand, and in the camp that find it believable that it would be a new platform, because

1. I find Oticon to be more open about the technical details they reveal from their whitepapers. I would give them the benefit of the doubt that they wouldn't lie about having a brand new platform to support the Intent, because that would be a pretty big lie that would be unnecessary just for the sake of marketing deception.

2. The addition of the accelerometer feature. Sure, if they had the foresight to add all the extra real estate for the DNN 2.0, including the accelerometer in the Polaris platform for future use (on the Intent), but never activated it before until now, then I could care less if it's the same Polaris hardware but now renamed to reflect the new features, as long as the new features in the Intent result in measurably better results. And Oticon almost always come out with whitepaper to demonstrated how the new features in each of their generation of aid model give measurably better results than the previous generation.

3. Even if they decided to switch to a size 13 rechargeable setup so they can have more energy, it's another reason that may require a new platform design to facilitate this switch.

But I do find it odd that they haven't released any technical paper on the Sirius platform yet, like they did with the Velox and Polaris platform. But then it's still pretty early in the game as they've only just announced the Intent recently. The paper may get released in due time.

Last edited:
So it's likely that the accelerometer was not added until the Sirius platform. And usually a new SOC is what spurred a new platform.
Let's poke at that a little. In 2021-Q3Starkey introduces Evolv AI, and among the features listed;
  • Fall Alert
You cannot have Fall Alert without the accelerometer hardware, right? So either we admit that Starkey technology was a couple of years ahead of Demant/Oticon (that ain't going to happen) or we consider that new System-on-Chip (SoC) designs do contain features that will be implemented in the future when software is (developed, tested, and certified) to use those new capabilities.

Last edited:
I am very interested in trying to fit Oticon Intent 1's (when I get them) using "Personalization with ACT". Below is how to enter your (single numerical ACT value) for your personalization method (as opposed to answering questions about your personal preferences). Does anyone know how your audiologist will determine the value for your (single numerical ACT value) and will they choose to use ACT ??? Currently my audiologist doesn't even use the personalization questions! Instead they use a form of automatic input from their professional hearing booth test results, set a few variables (models, Acoustics, vent-size and such) and then proceed with REM/Real Ear Measurement. That's it! Wham - Bang - Done. I believe this method is (best practices).

You can use Genie 2024.1 / Help / Open help files
Type "How to use Personalization with ACT" in the search area and Press ↵ Enter on your keyboard
Scroll down to find "How to use Personalization with ACT".

Genie 2 Help says: Hearing loss presents two challenges: loss of audibility and difficulty hearing in noise. Hearing instruments can effectively address both problems individually, but even fittings following Best Practices only systematically calculate the hearing instruments’ audibility capabilities.

For hearing care professionals who want to provide an optimal, comprehensive and personalized fitting experience for the user, ACT is an above-threshold, non-language based test, that quantifies a person’s real-world speech-in-noise ability.

With the ACT diagnostic test, you can objectively calculate and apply advanced features in our hearing instruments, to help people with hearing loss hear better in everyday situations.

The ACT test is done using an audiometer and the ACT value is a single numerical value that can be entered manually or automatically imported into the fitting software. The fitting software uses the value to calculate the settings for the client and applies them to the advanced features.

INFO: The ACT personalization effect increases with higher performance level instruments.

Last edited:
Here's a video of the → ACT test.

Hopefully done as an add-on test while you are still in the soundproof booth wearing earphones and, with the (Yes-I can hear the PTA/Pure Tone Average) clicker button in your hand. It only takes a minute or three to complete the test. You click the button when you hear a siren-sound in varying amounts of noise. The ACT test is now available in (Interacoustics, MedRx, and GSI) diagnostic equipment.

Quote from the whitepaper "modern hearing aids use powerful help-in-noise technology". This new ACT test will tell Genie 2 how much help is needed.

Another Quote from the whitepaper, "The ACT-based prescription of help-in-noise settings, compatible with Oticon hearing aids on Polaris R™ and newer platforms (i.e., Oticon Real™ and newer), specifically designed to provide an optimized first fit of MSI settings to individual users. The prescription considers the three most significant predictors of speech-in-noise ability as observed in the clinical trial, with the ACT value as the main contributor, the PTA/(pure tone average) as a second major contributor, and age as a minor contributor."

Quote from the whitepaper,
To compensate for hearing-in-noise problems, or contrast loss, modern hearing aids use powerful help-in-noise technology (Jensen & Pedersen, 2015; Andersen et al., 2021). This technology is highly adjustable in the fitting software and is thus, in principle, able to provide different “help levels” in noise for each user. However, there is currently no objective evidence-based way of selecting the adequate help level for the individual. Therefore, the help-in-noise features are often left in their moderate default settings. This represents missed opportunities, particularly for those hearing-aid users who really struggle with hearing in noise and who would benefit greatly from the strongest settings available.

Similar opportunities exist at the other end of the spectrum, in users with near-normal speech-in-noise ability (once audibility has been taken care of). Such users might be better off with a mild setting of the help-in-noise features to give them a less processed sound scene also in situations that most other hearing-aid users would find challenging.

Another video → Behind the scenes of ACT

In the near future, I will be lobbying my VA Audiologist to measure and include the Act value into my next fitting.

Insomuch as I understand how the ACT value contributes when calculating/Rx/Prescribing your hearing aid settings for Oticon hearing aids on Polaris R™ and newer platforms (i.e., Oticon Real™ and newer/Intent), you are not taking advantage of the correct speech-in-noise capabilities unless you provide an ACT value for use in Genie 2.

FYI: The ACT value is a number between minus -4.0 and plus 16.0. For example;
  • minus -4.1 is out of range
  • minus -4.0 is okay
  • minus -3.9 is okay
  • plus 16.1 is out of range
  • plus 16.0 is okay
  • plus 15.9 is okay

c1.jpg

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing. I don't think this ACT test will hit the clinics I have access to anytime soon. Hopefully I am wrong... I guess there would be no harm taking a laptop to a cafe and finding out which number from -4 and 16 would work best for me, no? :rolleyes:

More videos here.

FYI: The ACT value is a number between minus -4.0 and plus 16.0. For example;
  • minus -4.1 is out of range
  • minus -4.0 is okay
  • minus -3.9 is okay
  • plus 16.1 is out of range
  • plus 16.0 is okay
  • plus 15.9 is okay

View attachment 481

Curious. Just crazy idea since I do DIY.

This mean........ we can experiment input between -4 to 16 and see which number is winning lottery? That probably take very long time to randomly test and find out.

I see nothing hurt. Just put any number (if you don't have ACT or any HCP can do ACT).

Do you have any idea what -4 meaning? and 16?

I would like to understand if the Act number (in tenths) is purely incremental?
For example if 1.1 is simply one measure above 1.0, then there are;
  • 4x10 or 40 negative numbers and
  • 16x10 160 positive numbers
  • 200 increments total
200 different ways to classify your hearing-in-noise seems excessive to say the least. If it is 200 total settings, then I cannot imagine how you will perceive any difference between, Oh say a setting of (5.1 versus 5.8)?

I hate to speculate, but the ACT number could also represent (4-negative classifications and 16-positive classifications) along with 10-levels of degree represented by the tenths portion of the whole number? Yeah, I know this seems odd. But 200 increments also seems odd??

Also, I'm unsure if simply changing the Act number will force Genie 2 to perform a recalculation of your gain numbers?

Last edited:
After additional reading it seems that the ACT number is just a scientific reference point on a scale, see the (dB normalized Contrast Level (nCL) scale) image pictured in the previous post. Maybe more important is what Oticon Genie2 fitting software will use that scientific reference point/ACT number for? For simplicity's sake I believe it will give you hearing-in-noise help as follows;
  • Moderate - a little help with speech in noise
  • Complex - extra help with speech in noise
  • Very Complex - high level of help with speech in noise
and it will do so automatically. Though, I must admit that I don't have a deep understanding of these various setting selections pictured below. It seems to me, that if ACT will be adapted as "best Practice" then this MoreSound Intelligence screen can be much less confusing. Just plug in the ACT number. No need to ask if you find certain situations difficult. TIP: Click image to enlarge.

c2.jpg

Last edited:
I guess there would be no harm taking a laptop to a cafe and finding out which number from -4 and 16 would work best for me, no?
we can experiment input between -4 to 16 and see which number is winning lottery? That probably take very long time to randomly test and find out.
I think it would be easier to use the sliders. You can just click the arrows to switch sides as to which Logos you find easy and which Logos you find difficult; for example this almost everything is easy for you version;

c3.jpg

I think it would be easier to use the sliders. You can just click the arrows to switch sides as to which Logos you find easy and which Logos you find difficult; for example this almost everything is easy for you version;

View attachment 484
this new design/layout is for the new Intents only, no? In any case, the old layout also has this option, though the new one is much better (kudos to Oticon). I think this new ACT index could offer more precision, like you mention in your post #31.

Two simulations for you (there were four simulations, but for simplicity I am only showing two). First of all Genie 2 flags when the ACT Value has changed. That's encouraging because I believe it signals that Genie 2 knows that a new Calculation/Rx/Prescription is required when the ACT value changes. Tip: You can click images to enlarge.
First simulation Genie 2/SELECTION Step/ACT = -4 (Normal)

a1.jpg
First simulation Genie 2/FITTING Step/MoreSound Intellingenge selected in Left Pane
b1.jpg
Second simulation Genie 2/SELECTION Step/ACT = 16 (Severe)
a4.jpg
Second simulation Genie 2/FITTING Step/MoreSound Intellingenge selected in Left Pane

Look at the differences with MoreSound Intellingenge selected in Left Pane. Only one situation is classified as Easy, all other situations are classified as Difficult. For youse Guys who want to test the difference with a laptop in a cafe, you will only need to test a few different ACT numbers (maybe 5, 8, and 12) or similar. The beauty of the ACT number (if your Audi will conduct the 2-minute test) is that the ACT number will prescribe your best chance for hearing-in-noise, and it will do so Automatically, and right from the Get Go!
b4.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't had the chance to simulate that myself yet, so thanks for all the tips. I wonder if you noticed any changes in compression and gain in the "fine-tuning" tab as well?

Yep, it does (Re-calculate/Re-Rx/Re-Prescribe) the gain when you enter a new ACT number and the gain numbers are different.

You can read a DIY School Hearing Aids PDF File named (01 Explore the manufacturer's software) for instructions about how to setup a dummy client in order to perform a Simulated Session.
After that; select the dummy client, and...
  1. At WELCOME step Click SIMULATE
  2. At SELECTION step choose miniRITE models for both sides
  3. Click Personalization in the Left Pane
  4. Choose Audible Contrast Threshold as the PERSONALIZATION METHOD
  5. Enter the ACT Number and click SAVE
  6. Proceed to the FITTING step (an acoustics popup will halt you, just take the default acoustics for this simulation)
  7. That's it - You have simulated fitting for the ACT Number of your choosing
After initial setup of a dummy client, simulation takes less that a minute. Pfft ;)

Last edited:
A note of DIYer caution. Any time you cause a (Re-calculate/Re-Rx/Re-Prescribe) the gain, you are overwriting the previous settings.

And, if the previous settings were from your Audiologist who follows "best practice" then the settings likely had additional adjustments applied using REM/Real Ear Measurement with expensive equipment and probes in your ears.

You will lose the REM adjustments when you (Re-calculate/Re-Rx/Re-Prescribe) the gain! So please read Step 4 – Save your Original Professional Settings (if any) in a DIY School Hearing Aids PDF File named (02 How to Program your Hearing Aids).

Yikes, has rechargeable battery replacement gone Bye Bye?
Will a disposable-battery version be released later??

@13 minutes into this → UTube Video it says the new size 13 rechargeable batteries are not replaceable !

It also says that the the Sirius Platform has a brand new chip. Yeah, right :rolleyes: I'll → buy that for a Dollar.

Last edited:
Back