New Oticon Sirius Platform, with one new model (Oticon Intent miniRITE)

Below an image clipped from → Oticon's Intent Quick Guide
  • Yep, no Battery Door - That is very disappointing for me. Whoops, there goes my resale value plummeting to zero. Dang!
  • The Oticon Real models had both (Rechargeable and non-rechargeable models) as shown on the last page of this → Oticon Real Trifold. So there is a glimmer of hope that we might get a non-rechargeable version of the Oticon Intent in the future?? Though I remain pessimistic about this possibility. I'm guessing that Oticon is joining the other manufacturers in offering only throw-away rechargeable hearing aid models. Dang again!
  • Ah, it looks like they added a new wireless radio for Bluetooth LE Audio. I am guessing that new radio is what's being referred to as a "new chip". That doesn't count as a new chip in my book. Processor speed and power is what I look for in a new chip.

c1.jpg

Last edited:
I went to see a member of my Audiologist group this morning. Good news I will be getting new Oticon Intents. Yay!

Bad news is they don't use (or even know much about) the Audible Contrast Threshold (ACT™) extra test, where you just just click a button in the soundproof booth when you hear the siren mixed in with other noisy-munbo-jumbo sounds.

During my upcoming appointment in mid-March for a hearing test using (PTA-Pure-tone audiometry) I will attempt to get the Audi to add the short 2-or-3-minute ACT test. Hopefully their audiometer instrument is capable of measuring Audible Contrast Threshold (ACT™)?

The ACT number from this test will produce a precise setting for the advanced speech-in-noise technology within the Oticon Real model, or in my case, within the Oticon Intent Model. Both of those models have advanced speech-in-noise technology. If I fail in getting the ACT number, then I will have to rely on the Genie2 Personalization questions instead of the more precise Genie2 Personalization ACT number.

This is my Audi's typical procedure;
  • PTA-Pure-tone audiometry test produces an Audiogram
  • Audiogram is automatically loaded into Genie 2
  • Model details, Receiver type, Acoustics/vent size etc. are specified
  • Settings are Calculated/Rx'd/Prescribed
  • An extra step REM/Real Ear Measurement is used to make additional adjustments to the settings
My dilemma!!
The settings match my hearing loss, and include REM adjustment to ensure the prescribed gain is reaching the eardrums. But sadly, we are using "Default" for speech-in-noise settings. ETA/Edit To Add. I may be wrong when I said; Also, if I make a DIY change for example; change the Personalization from Default to a more precise speech in noise setting, then I lose the professional REM adjustments. Why do I lose REM? Because the settings will be (Re-Calculated/Re-Rx'd/Re-Prescribed) and therefore overwrite the previous REM-adjusted settings.

My solution. If we can get the Audible Contrast Threshold (ACT™) in the beginning (from the hearing test) then we can include the precise ACT number during the first fitting session. Alternatively, we can at least complete the Personalization Questionnaire as a substitute for the ACT number to get speech-in-noise settings that are better than "Default".

Last edited:
Yep, no Battery Door - That is very disappointing for me. Whoops, there goes my resale value plummeting to zero. Dang!
I am no longer concerned about the factory-repair requirement for replacing fully enclosed rechargeable batteries, though YMMV.

My VA clinic does not replace rechargeable batteries, period! They send all rechargeable hearing aids back for factory repair, even the models that have battery door access for replaceable batteries. And, it is not tied to a warranty expiration date! They will factory repair any model having weak battery problems. That's a very nice benefit. Non-VA members may want try getting the batteries replaced while still under warranty?

Bad news is they don't use (or even know much about) the Audible Contrast Threshold (ACT™) extra test, where you just just click a button in the soundproof booth when you hear the siren mixed in with other noisy-munbo-jumbo sounds.
Hopefully eventually at some point, ACT will proliferate enough to be considered a best practice test to be done, just as important as doing a tone-generated audiometry test. Without ACT, you'll have to guess how much help you need for speech in noise settings. With ACT, you can skip guessing because the ACT result can indicate (hopefully with good enough accuracy) how much help you need with speech in noise.

So maybe 6 months or a year from now when your HCP finally has their "act" together (pun intended here of course) and incorporate ACT testing as their best practice, you can get the ACT test done and it'd be interesting to compare how close your (hopefully) finely-tuned "guess/trial-and-error setting" for help with speech in noise is by then (that you're happy with), compared to what the ACT based speech in noise setting would be based on your ACT result.

I may be wrong when I said;
Also, if I make a DIY change for example; change the Personalization from Default to a more precise speech in noise setting, then I lose the professional REM adjustments. Why do I lose REM? Because the settings will be (Re-Calculated/Re-Rx'd/Re-Prescribed) and therefore overwrite the previous REM-adjusted settings.

Perhaps REM adjustments are stored differently because I found the following instructions from Genie 2 Help and then search "Remove REM"
How to remove the REM AutoFit adjustments after they have been applied To remove the REM AutoFit adjustments, do as follows: Go to any tool in the Fitting step, except for In-situ Audiometry and Acoustics. In the Hearing Instrument menu, click Remove REM AutoFit (Insertion gain) results.

Last edited:
Yep, it does (Re-calculate/Re-Rx/Re-Prescribe) the gain when you enter a new ACT number and the gain numbers are different.
BUT!!! I don't know what will happen with the valuable/best practice REM adjustments when you force a (Re-calculate/Re-Rx/Re-Prescribe) by entering an ACT number after first fit. I know that the settings will be different. But I don't know if the recalculation destroys your REM adjustments?

Bottom line, If we enter the ACT value first (before proceeding with first fit) then there is no problem because the ACT number is specified before the first fit is (Calculated/Rx'd/Prescribed).

But if you enter the ACT number on a subsequent session (after first fit) then it will change your gain settings "again". Though, I don't know if the ACT number change will also discard your REM adjustments? I don't know how that works. And, I don't know how to find out? I'm stumped?

BUT!!! I don't know what will happen with the valuable/best practice REM adjustments when you force a (Re-calculate/Re-Rx/Re-Prescribe) by entering an ACT number after first fit. I know that the settings will be different. But I don't know if the recalculation destroys your REM adjustments?

But if you enter the ACT number on a subsequent session (after first fit) then it will change your gain settings "again". Though, I don't know if the ACT number change will also discard your REM adjustments? I don't know how that works. And, I don't know how to find out? I'm stumped?
I would venture to guess, and it can be verified probably quite easily because we can always restore the last session with the intact REM data, is that the ACT data will only change the parameters in the MoreSound Intelligence window and will not affect the data in the Fine Tuning window. The parameters in the MoreSound Intelligence windows like specifying which environments would be deemed easy or difficult to the user, the amount of Neural Noise Suppression to use for easy and difficult environments, the directionality settings, etc, are directly relevant to giving more or less help for speech in noise.

The REM data change only the gain curves in the Fine Tuning window but does nothing to the MoreSound Intelligence window's settings. On the other hand, I'm not so sure how the ACT data would change the gain curves, because this is already calculated using a fitting rationales and adjusted by REM, so it doesn't make sense how changing the overall amplification formula would help with speech in noise. Selecting the NAL-NL2 or DSL v5.0 Adult formulas up front would do more to favor speech in noise, but those are universal standards so they can't be personalized for individual ACT data anyway.

So in conclusion, my guess is that REM adjustment should affect a different set of data (the calculated gain curves) compared to the data that can be affected by the ACT result (mostly the MoreSound Intelligence parameters only. So they shouldn't step on each other's toes and therefore there's no issue for them to coexist.

But you know what would step on each other's toes? Did you notice that the ACT personalization method is mutually exclusive with the Personalization Questionnaire method? I guess it's possible that your specified preferences in the Personalization Questionnaire can results in parameter changes that might possibly come into conflict with ACT-based parameter changes, hence the mutually exclusive option.

Last edited:
I would venture to guess, and it can be verified probably quite easily because we can always restore the last session with the intact REM data, is that the ACT data will only change the parameters in the MoreSound Intelligence window and will not affect the data in the Fine Tuning window.
Thanks Mr V; Yes I did test that across two sessions in one of my TLDR posts. Below are links to the Page 2 posts and the gain numbers are different.
I wonder if you noticed any changes in compression and gain in the "fine-tuning" tab as well?

Yep, it does (Re-calculate/Re-Rx/Re-Prescribe) the gain when you enter a new ACT number and the gain numbers are different.

Hold on, I think I may have forgotten to slide the gain control (hearing aid acclimatization settings) to max gain/#3 on one of the simulations. I will test again. Thanks for poking at the results. I will run some additional simulations.
c1.jpg

Okay two new simulations with Act numbers at opposite extremes (-4 great hearing vs 16 can't hear sh..stuff). So Yep, it does (Re-calculate/Re-Rx/Re-Prescribe) the gain when you enter a new ACT number and the gain numbers are different.

On a related issue; I previously thought that REM adjustments were simply represented by Gain number adjustment. That is, until I found a feature (in Genie2 Help) that allows you to "remove REM" AutoFit adjustments?? What? Now I am confused about how REM adjustments are stored. :eek:

Simulate ACT -4 great hearing
a1.jpg
a2.jpg

Simulate Act 16 can't hear sh..stuff
c3.jpg
b2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for testing this out, @pvc ! This is definitely interesting that the gain numbers are different for different ACT values on the 2 extremes. So the ACT value does a whole lot more than just making changes to some of the parameters in MoreSound Intelligence. This would make the value of ACT inside of Genie 2 actually more impactful than we think it is.

Regarding the REM Autofit Adjustments, it makes sense that if you use the REM Autofit feature inside of Genie 2, that it would store what the REM adjustment values are for each frequency channel somewhere in its memory so that you can easily remove it or reinstate it later if you want. But not all HCPs will use the Genie 2 REM Autofit feature. If they don't have the compatible hardware that works with the Genie 2 REM Autofit, or if they already have their REM equipment set up to run independently as a stand-alone with another third party software, then their manual REM adjustments (the pluses and minus in dB) would not be stored in the Genie 2 REM Autofit memory.

So now I see another benefit of doing REM adjustment using the REM Autofit feature inside of Genie 2. If you go this route, you can just change the gain curves for whatever reason (like with ACT causing the changes here) and not have to worry about it messing up the REM adjustment. You can probably just remove the REM adjustment data, make changes to your gain curves (from ACT or whatever), then re-impose the REM adjustments onto the gain curves again. I can see how this is very handy because no matter how your gain curves get changed by your various experiments, you don't have to worry about whether doing those changes would mess up your REM adjustments or not.

now I see another benefit of doing REM adjustment using the REM Autofit feature inside of Genie 2
Ohhhh; Now I get it (two different REM methods)!! Thanks, Mr V :cool:

Last edited:
My option to remove Genie 2 REM Autofit is "grayed out" so My Audi used 3rd-Party REM equipment to apply the REM adjustments. Thus, the REM adjustments are not separate, and therefore are not independently removable.

This means (when 3rd-Party REM equipment is used to apply the REM adjustments) you must be careful about making changes that will cause your settings to be (Re-calculated/Re-Rx'd/Re-Prescribed) because doing so will overwrite your valuable/Best Practice REM/Real Ear Measurement adjustments.

e1.jpg

Last edited:
Therefore (and this was my whole point); If you provide the ACT number after first fit then you will overwrite your REM/Read Ear Measurement adjustments. I will lobby my Audiologist to get the ACT number up front during the hearing test (in the sound proof booth, if possible).

If not possible I will request that the alternate Personalization Questionnaire be used instead of the Default. I am here to tell you that the Default sucks! ;) Though YMMV if you hear well in noise.

During a 3-way discussion with my Audi and the Oticon technical representative, I got to ask a few questions. We were unsure if the ACT test would be available on my Audi's audiometer equipment? The Oticon rep said (and I questioned him to verify) that the ACT test would also be available via a tone with-hearing-aids-in-ear test? What? I don't see that option in Genie2 2024.1? Or at least I can't find it? Maybe a future release of Genie2. I dunno yet?

ITherefore (and this was my whole point); If you provide the ACT number after first fit then you will overwrite your REM/Read Ear Measurement adjustments. I will lobby my Audiologist to get the ACT number up front during the hearing test (in the sound proof booth, if possible).

If not possible I will request that the alternate Personalization Questionnaire be used instead of the Default. I am here to tell you that the Default sucks! ;) Though YMMV if you hear well in noise.

During a 3-way discussion with my Audi and the Oticon technical representative, I got to ask a few questions. We were unsure if the ACT test would be available on my Audi's audiometer equipment? The Oticon rep said (and I questioned him to verify) that the ACT test would also be available via a tone with-hearing-aids-in-ear test? What? I don't see that option in Genie2 2024.1? Or at least I can't find it? Maybe a future release of Genie2. I dunno yet?
I hear that ACT must be used with an audiometer (with a purchased ACT license), and it's not plug-and-play with any audiometer, only certain (and maybe newer) models. So if the HCP already invested $20K in an audiometer that turns out to be incompatible with ACT, then it's very unlikely that that HCP would be willing to buy another new expensive audiometer that's compatible with ACT just so they can have ACT in their tool bag.

But if Genie 2 (and most other HA mfgs' softwares) can do in-situ audiometry, I don't see why they can't extend in-situ audiometry out to include in-situ ACT. But I guess that Oticon must be able to work out the licensing aspect first before they can add an in-situ ACT test if they want. I didn't see this angle until you mentioned it here, so I'm very excited that it may be a possibility down the line in the future.

As for whether ACT would overwrite your REM adjustment values if REM wasn't done via REM Autofit inside Genie 2, it depends on whether Genie 2 will re-prescribe from scratch to add the ACT effect into the gain curves, or whether Genie 2 will just take the gain curves in the General P1 program that already reflects the built-in REM adjustments and simply add or subtract the ACT effect on top of it. If the former, then you're right that the REM adjustments will be lost. But if the later, then the REM adjustments are preserved and the ACT adjustments just go on top of it. The problem, though, is that we don't know if it's the former or the later, do we? Unless we experiment.

We can experiment to find out, but it might be kludgy. To experiment, I would create another user profile of the same audiogram which has no REM adjustment, record the pre-ACT gain values, then inject my ACT value (or a make believe one, whatever) and compare the new ACT-driven gain values against the old non-ACT value, and record the differences. Now I have the ACT adjusted data differences at each frequency channel. Let's call this the ACT increments. Let's call this STEP 1.

This non-REM, non-ACT gain curve can serve as a baseline for everything. You can now also compare this against your REM adjusted gain curve and record the differences in the gain at each frequency. So now you also have a record of what the increments are to go from non-REM to REM gains (let's call it the REM increments), just like you have a record of the ACT increments. Let's call this STEP 2.

Now if you take your REM-adjusted gain curve and run ACT on it (make sure you have an original copy saved to revert when necessary, of course), you can now compare the gain differences between pre-ACT and post-ACT. If these differences equal the additive effect of the ACT increments and the REM increments combined, then you know that Genie 2 preserves the REM adjustments and only adds the ACT adjustments on top. If these differences are not equal to both ACT and REM increments combined, then we know that Genie 2 probably re-prescribes from scratch and throws away the REM adjustment values.

And ideally, if Genie 2 re-prescribes from scratch, then you should end up with the same gain curve that you got in STEP 1 above.

@Volusiano Thanks for exposing these ACT discussions to our Professional friends on another forum. It's always beneficial to hear advice from the Pro's and I no longer possess the capability to do that ;) A few points about the other discussion;

said on another forum → and from time to time, you’ll hear siren-like sound (like from an ambulance), where your job is to detect the presence of the siren-like sound and push a button to let the clinician know that you detected the siren sound.
The clinician is not involved at all. The ACT test itself will automatically record your button presses for the resultant automatic ACT number calculation. That's why it's so fast.

When you say the following on another forum and here's a → link The first screenshot below is what I get if I set ACT to -4 (the smallest value → need the least help). The second screenshot below is what I get if I set ACT to 16 (the highest value → need the most help).

Whoops Bro, your images are reversed on that other forum.
Just TRYNA be helpful and hoping this is not too "cute". :cool:

Last edited:
Based on my interpretation of what I heard from the Oticon Rep, and asking him to clarify, I suspect that we may get the ability (in the future) of an in-situ style (Speech-In-Noise) ACT test from within the Genie 2 fitting software. I assume we would be listing to the sound of waves played directly in the hearing aids, and then mouse-click a button when we hear the siren.

Though, this is just speculation on my part. But the Oticon REP did mention an ACT test available using hearing-aids-in-ear!!

Last edited:
When you say the following on another forum and here's a → link The first screenshot below is what I get if I set ACT to -4 (the smallest value → need the least help). The second screenshot below is what I get if I set ACT to 16 (the highest value → need the most help).

Whoops Bro, your images are reversed on that other forum.
Just TRYNA be helpful and hoping this is not too "cute". :cool:
Hm, I double checked and I don't see that my images are reversed. Below is a snapshot of my post on the other forum.

The first screenshot (where I set ACT to -4 meaning the least help is needed with noise because I have good (normal) contrast threshold) shows that Easy consists of Very Simple, Simple and Moderate, and 0 dB max attenuation for Easy, which makes sense because I wouldn't need any help in any of these 3 environments).

The second screenshot (where I set ACT to 16 meaning the most help is needed with noise because I have very bad (severe) contrast threshold), even Simple and Moderate environments are classified as Difficult. And I need 10 dB of noise suppression here in Difficult, vs more than the 8 dB of noise suppression in the first screenshot where I need less help because I have normal contrast threshold.

If you still think I got it in reverse, please elaborate so I can understand where you think I get it in reverse.

1709530159162.png

My Bad. You are correct Mr V. I confused myself with too many body images in the MSI/MoreSoundIntelligence.:confused:

@Volusiano - Yes, I now believe your are correct in that we should consider Sirius as a new platform from Oticon. After watching Dr Cliff's → Oticon Intent video and specifically the break-apart image below, I now believe the Motion Sensor and other new hardware changes are significant. So I changed the DIY School PDF File (Big-5 Platforms Chips-平台 芯片) release date to Red=New Platform. :)

William DeMant/Oticon, Bernafon, Philips, Sonic

2024-Q1Sirius2024-Q1 Intent miniRITE; new Lithium-ion charger technology - has contacts - is not inductive charging, new miniFit Detect speakers - not miniFit speakers

c1.jpg

Back